Bobcat, cute fawn, very weird hikers (Mt. Williamson)

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This is about the strangest collection of trailcam footage yet. The bobcat just stands in front of the camera for about 2 minutes, and yawns, before walking away ("oh look, a trail camera...how 2008...:roll:")

This deer is in the wrong territory apparently:

We've got "Sierra Club Wednesday Hikers, The Musical":

And the cutest thing you've ever seen - this doe and her fuzzy little fawn:

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow. That deer one is cool. I didn't know deer chased each other like that.

:lol: lol on the hikers.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

4 for 4 there! I also liked the deer chase... or could have been something else chasing them for dinner :?:

What kinda bird is that in the last clip? Trippy looking thing :shock:
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

Cougarmagic,

Are you still using the SG550 camera? Was your camera directly on the trail to Mt. Williamson?

I think the bird is a Red Shafted Flicker.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Kit Fox wrote:Cougarmagic,

Are you still using the SG550 camera? Was your camera directly on the trail to Mt. Williamson?

I think the bird is a Red Shafted Flicker.
Yes to the first question, and no to the second. i was very surprised to see hikers where the camera was.

Thanks for the bird info! I don't know birds at all.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

The flicker is very cool! From wikipedia:
There are over 100 common names for the Northern Flicker. Among them are: Yellowhammer, clape, gaffer woodpecker, harry-wicket, heigh-ho, wake-up, walk-up, wick-up, yarrup, and gawker bird. Many of these names are attempts at imitating some of its calls.

According to the Audubon guide, "flickers are the only woodpeckers that frequently feed on the ground", probing with their bill, also sometimes catching insects in flight. Although they eat fruits, berries, seeds and nuts, their primary food is insects. Ants alone can make up 45% of their diet. They have a behavior called anting, during which they use the acid from the ants to assist in preening, as it is useful in keeping them free of parasites.
We heard a unique bird call while hiking here a few weeks ago. I bet it was this bird. Kind of an upset-sounding, warning cry, but nothing I had heard before.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Are you putting scent around your cam?
The animals seem to be attracted right to it.

Those deer were sure moving, something spooked 'em.

What's with the dancing woman with the colored gloves putting the rock in front of the camera and then farting in your general direction?
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

cougarmagic wrote:Kind of an upset-sounding, warning cry, but nothing I had heard before.
No, that wasn't a bird you heard, that was DamOTclese wailing away from a distant trail :P

-----

Thanks for the bird ID Kit Fox.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote:We heard a unique bird call while hiking here a few weeks ago. I bet it was this bird. Kind of an upset-sounding, warning cry, but nothing I had heard before.
A link to sound files for the Northern Flicker (i.e. the Red Shafted Flicker and the Yellow Shafted Flicker):

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Nort ... ker/sounds
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Rumpled wrote:Are you putting scent around your cam?
The animals seem to be attracted right to it.

Those deer were sure moving, something spooked 'em.

What's with the dancing woman with the colored gloves putting the rock in front of the camera and then farting in your general direction?
Sometimes I put scent out, but there was none at this location. At night, they see the row of red LEDs glowing, and get curious about it. During the day - I don't know, maybe they just notice a new object in their territory?

I have no idea what the dance routine was all about - I think it's gotta be someone who knows a little bit about trailcams - she seemed to know it was taking video, rather than still photos, I think! I'm glad she didn't leave the rock there, that would've sucked.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

For the record, I once watched deer play an organized game of follow the leader. But it was on the right coast.
:P