San Gorgonio Mtn Thursday / Friday 7/30 & 7/31

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I'm heading up to San Gorgonio Mtn for a quick overnight conditioning BP

I'm heading out of Fish Creek and twas wondering about water.....

It looks as though water is available before you start up the grade to Mine Shaft Saddle and over toward North Fork Meadow

My feeling is to just haul up the water and bypass going to NF Mdw, what have others done?

If there is any interest I have a permit for 3....

RE: C47 wrecksite
I've always wanted to visit this wrecksite but have never had the time as the hike to the summit seems to consume all my energy & time. My (mis-)understanding is it is located below the Skyhigh Trail around the Tarn

Anybody have any info on this wrecksite?

TIA
Matt
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

The C-47B Dakota USAF #45-1124 crashed in snowstorm on 11/28/52 while on a flight from Offutt AFB at Omaha, Nebraska to March AFB near Riverside, California killing the 13 men on board. On 12/26/52, a Marine Corps helicopter crashed while trying to reach the crash site. The remains of it’s rotor blades are at the bottom of the canyon near Mine Shaft Flats. The C-47’s wreckage is scattered from the Sky High Trail at 10,400' all the way down the canyon. I have past by this crash site many times while doing hikes in the area. This time plan to spend the day checking it out.

The C-47 Dakota is the military's version of the DC-3.

Joe Idoni's wreck site pictures. http://joeidoni.smugmug.com/gallery/1901607_iKwFa
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:I'm heading up to San Gorgonio Mtn for a quick overnight conditioning BP

I'm heading out of Fish Creek and twas wondering about water.....

It looks as though water is available before you start up the grade to Mine Shaft Saddle and over toward North Fork Meadow

My feeling is to just haul up the water and bypass going to NF Mdw, what have others done?
Matt, regarding water, take a look at this map. "A" is the approximate location of the trailhead. "B" is marked as having a creek in it, but it is normally dry. "C" is the most reliable water source (on/near the trail) in this area. I'm not sure where you're staying, but "D" is the approx. location of the trail camp. Note that some maps incorrectly list it as being closer to point "C". The trail camp is by the small switchback shown on the map and the spur trail to it is signed. "E" is your last water (on/near the trail) before the peak. It flows weakly (usually) over the trail and is pretty muddy (usually). It can go dry in late season but is probably fine now. If you go upstream a few feet, you can usually find filterable pools. "F" marks the end of the first major switch back. It's doable but steepish to go up from "F" directly up the (usually dry) watercourse to Fish Creek Saddle "G". I generally, if carrying an overnight pack, go up the trail and down the watercourse. Going directly up the watercourse from "E" to "F" can also be done, but is a brushy pain in the butt; I think it's quicker to take the trail. Sometimes there's a small spring just west of Fish Creek Saddle ("G"), but it only flows in wet years. Otherwise, there is water about 1 mile west of Fish Creek Saddle ("G") at Lodgepole Spring ("H"). There is an old but followable trail that goes from "G" to "H". The trail is signed at the upper junction ("G"). "I" marks Lodgepole Saddle (aka Zahniser-Lake Saddle). There is another abandoned trail (this time unsigned) that leads from "I" to "G". One can also descend to Mine Shaft Flats camp ("J"); water is available (very reliable) 1/3 mile below the camp at point "K". It's easy to find both by listening for the sound of the water and by looking for where people have scrambled down the bank from the trail to the water. Personally, if I needed water while in the section from Fish Creek Saddle ("G") to Mine Shaft Saddle (forgot to put a letter at Mine Shaft Saddle, but it is 0.1 mi W of "I"), I would go to Lodgepole because there's a bit less elevation loss and because it's closer. Lodgepole is pretty reliable although it has gone dry (or very nearly so) in multi-year droughts. Mine Shaft Flats camp ("J") is also mis-marked on the current hard copy topo maps. "J" shows the correct location.
mattmaxon wrote:RE: C47 wrecksite
I've always wanted to visit this wrecksite but have never had the time as the hike to the summit seems to consume all my energy & time. My (mis-)understanding is it is located below the Skyhigh Trail around the Tarn

Anybody have any info on this wrecksite?
Kit Fox has way more info than I on the subject but regarding the above linked map, the plane wreckage is strewn both above and below the trail (can't miss it) somewhere in the vicinity (very approx.) of "L".

Point "M" marks the SE ridge of San Gorgonio. If I'm coming from the E, I usually proceed directly up the ridge to the summit ("N") rather than taking the long detour W to join the main trail.

HTH,

HJ
kgw

Post by kgw »

Where does the road leave the asphalt? I've tried to follow the tracks on the topo and can't find it. Heartbar?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

kgw wrote:Where does the road leave the asphalt?
A short ways off Highway 38 JSO Heart Bar Cpgd

The road is mostly unpaved to Fish Creek Trailhead
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

kgw wrote:Where does the road leave the asphalt? I've tried to follow the tracks on the topo and can't find it. Heartbar?
Yes. To get to the named "Fish Creek" trailhead (there are at least 5 entry points to access Fish Creek, three from Hwy 38 and two from the dirt road), you turn off just as if you intended to camp at Heartbar CG. Shortly after the CG, the road turns to well graded dirt. In a bit, you'll come to a "Y" in the road; stay right. The road quality quickly deteriorates after the "Y". You'll cross a creek, head up a switch back, and come to a relatively open space which is the "Aspen Creek" trail head (one of the five entry points to access Fish Creek). Don't stop here if the named Fish Creek trailhead is your destination. Just keep on the winding road. There are a couple of spurs, but it's generally pretty easy to tell which is the main road. When you get to the parking lot at the end of the road, look for the trailhead sign.
kgw

Post by kgw »

Thanks, guys 8)