Hiking out of Country

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I have an oppurtunity to spend about 16-18 days hiking in another country and the dates are "open" at this time. I've never planned any hikes in any other country, and would like to ask you guys for suggestions.

The only catch is, when I say "another country", I don't mean some hard to reach place like the North Pole or some obscure location that takes 24 hours aboard an airbus, 17 commuter flights, 3 trains and a water buffalo ride to get to. I'm talking about a country that has regulary scheduled flights.

If any of you can jsut make some suggestions of general area or location, I can do the final leg work of researching the area. If you have specific details, cool, but not necessary.

Here are a couple ideas I've come up with so far:

1) Mt Kilimanjaro (if time permits)
2) Mt Ruapehu, Tongairiro National Park, New Zealand (or other NP in NZ)
3) Ausangate Circuit, Peru
4) Overland Track, Tasmania
5) or possibly several volcanoes in South America

Any information you guys can lend would greatly be appreciated.

~EnFuego
simonov

Post by simonov »

I wish I could help. I lived in the UK for two years and brought all my gear with me, intending to trek and ramble all over Wales and Scotland, but never found the time. I never once put on my boots.
Nunc est bibendum
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Canadian Rockies?
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:Canadian Rockies?
I thought of the West Coast Trail, BC, Canada. But I think Canada is too close too home. I'm looking for something farther out. This will be an almost "once in a lifetime" trip.

But yeah, Candian rockies for sure some day.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Depending upon when you are going you should keep in mind that all southern hemisphere locations are gonna be in "winter" conditions. Look into the Scottish Highlands, I heard it's a beautiful place to do some backpacking.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:Depending upon when you are going you should keep in mind that all southern hemisphere locations are gonna be in "winter" conditions. Look into the Scottish Highlands, I heard it's a beautiful place to do some backpacking.
Yeah, I heard same thing - maybe from you. I read somewhere about one particular trail that is in the Highlands. I've been looking for it. It sounded awesome at the time I read about it, jsut can't find it now.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

well i have no experience, but what appeals to me without much research:

Mont Blanc & Matterhorn area

Aconcagua area

Tierra del Fuego

New Zealand

actually I have been in the eastern Alps which were nice, but I think more west would be nicer.

I did Inca trail in Peru, I think you idea of a Peru trek would be really great (just don't do that mountain from 'Touching the Void')
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Don't listen to Ze. Let's go climb Suila Grande. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:Don't listen to Ze. Let's go climb Suila Grande. :lol:
Sure. After all, what's the worst that could happen? Hey, Taco, you do keep your knife sharp, right? :lol:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Suila Grande would be great, but unfortunatly, I need to keep the extremes to a minimum. Specifically, altitude and cold.

Right now, we are doing some deeper investigation to some cross country hiking in the Scottish Highlands, as Zach recommended. The other possibility right now is the Overland trail in Australia.

I'll keep you guys posted.
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Interesting in Scotland & England without a lot of suffering?:

Hiking Hadrian's Wall. This is a hiking route that runs across the UK along the Scotland/England border (Newcastle-on-Tyne on the North Sea coast to Carlisle near the western coast. It follows a wall built by Roman emperor Hadrian to try and keep the heathen Scotsmen (Braveheart & his party-animal 'buds') in their place. Parts of the wall remain, and its easy to follow. Also some interesting ruins of fortresses along the way. Its a sea level hiking route, takes about a week (about 80 miles), but you can overnight in a lot of small towns with great folks, food, and plenty of BEER!. A popular hike in the UK in summer. I used the Lonely Plant UK travel guide to find the route when I did it back in the mid 1990s. Couldn't find a modern websource, but here's an article on it that might stoke your interest:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09200/98 ... travel.xml

Circumnavigate the Ben Nevis 'complex'. This is a hike up the UK's highest peak (4400 ft, so no diamox needed), then run the ridge around the gully it forms while 'tagging' Carn Mor Dearg & its lesser "Arete" summit. Somewhat analagous to hiking around 'Big Draw' on San G, tagging Charlston & Jepson, etc. You'll be back in Ft. William by nightfall for BEER! I did tag Ben Nevis, but didn't complete the route due high winds and an incoming storm. :(
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

phydeux wrote:Interesting in Scotland & England without a lot of suffering?(
My dad will be coming on this trip and he is fine with harsh weather, he just can't deal too well with high altitude (above 12,000) or severe cold.

But thanks for your ideas, I will look into them today.