Raingear

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Hello all. I am going to the sierras soon and i was wondering what to take incase of rain/hail I have a timberland rain jacket w/ hood but i want to travel light. I was thinking a down sweater w/ hood but not sure. will goto sport chalet tonight and see what they have!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

First - I would go to REI instead of Sport Chalet. REI has some great items on sale right now, especially rain/wind shells.

I always carry a lightweight to midweight base layer top (patagonia or similar) in my pack along with a very light rain/wind shell jacket and pants.

Last August, I was in Dusy Basin and for 3 days we were hit with afternoon showers which mostly led to hail. I stayed in shorts most of the time as the weather did not cool down too much, but up top I put on my thermal top and my rain shell. This was all I needed to keep fishing and hiking around some of the lakes.

Here's a couple ideas to get you started (you don't need anything thick, thats what the base layer is for):

This is what I keep in my pack 95% of the time for emergencies. It compress down to a tube about 4-5 inches long and about 3 inches diameter.
http://www.rei.com/product/772613

This jacket is also really nice. My son has it. It's only $39.00
http://www.rei.com/product/718785

Good luck.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I like that first one. plus it can compress into the size ofa coke can. Does the other one too?

thanks
e
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Yeah, the other one compresses small too, but I don't think it is as durable as the Sierra Designs one. I've had my Sierra Designs rainshell for almost 6 years now and it still looks brand new. Very durable. I don't use it much anymore, ad I bought a Marmot shell that compresses down to about a third the size of a Coke can. And it also has a thin fleece like lining on the inside which feels nice and cozy.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

edenooch wrote:Hello all. I am going to the sierras soon
Ditto here

I'm taking my Sierra Designs shell and pants

The ultimate in light weight is Frogg Toggs®
http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog/

I'm also taking a fleece jacket, polypropylene undies, wool cap, & gloves

Hopefully I won't freeze my a&$ off

Matt
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

mattmaxon wrote: I'm also taking a fleece jacket, polypropylene undies, wool cap, & gloves

Hopefully I won't freeze my a&$ off

Matt
Matt - where are you headed? I just got back from two trips in the Sierra's and a friend just back from Eastern Sierras and another up there now. Night time temps at 10,000ft is 48-51 degrees, day temps were very low 70's. I was in shorts, and short sleeves entire time, with exception to sleeping. I wore lightweight polypro's just to be comfy sleeping. cap, gloves and fleece really not necessary.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Horseshoe Meadows to Onion Valley w/side trip to Mt Whitney

I know it's overkill but being cold in my sleeping bag sucks

I'll see how my pack weight looks

Some of it may go by the wayside if the pack weight creeps up (as it always does)

Forrester Pass 13,200 ft with a full multiday pack will be tough
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

mattmaxon wrote:Horseshoe Meadows to Onion Valley w/side trip to Mt Whitney
Nice.
mattmaxon wrote:Some of it may go by the wayside if the pack weight creeps up (as it always does)
It always creeps up.

mattmaxon wrote:Forrester Pass 13,200 ft with a full multiday pack will be tough
And fun.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I recommend against the Marmot Precip. See my comments here.

I've generally had bad luck with Marmot jackets with respect to waterproofness.
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Why not take a poncho? Summertime in So Cal & the Sierra Nevada is too warm (& sometimes muggy) during the summer to be enclosed in a parka & rainpants. They just turn me into a walking sauna. Ponchos are open, allowings some ventilation, so it keeps the sweat build-up down to a minimum during warm summer rainshowers. I bought one of these a few years ago and its worked great, but you can also get cheaper versions. Packs down small as a sandwich:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20275

My parka and rainpants stay in the closet during summer.

Cheers.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I brought a poncho on my last BP instead of a a rain jacket+pants+pack cover. Saves weight; breathes well. Not good for cold wx.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

EnFuego, thanks it took your recommendation and i got that Sierra design hurricane! its really light and compress to a nice size.
I tried on the other one aswell and it feels like half the weight. but the guy said the other one repels water better! thx again
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:EnFuego, thanks it took your recommendation and i got that Sierra design hurricane! its really light and compress to a nice size.
I tried on the other one aswell and it feels like half the weight. but the guy said the other one repels water better! thx again
Cool deal. :lol: