Cabin Flat 7/26/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

After Saturday's adventure down to Upper Fish Fork Camp, we decided to check out the old camp site at Cabin Flat.
From Lupine @ 6650' down old 3N39 it was a relaxing 2.7 miles stroll. The forest was burnt in some areas probably from the fire in 99'. The morning air was still cool but the hike out proved to be a lot warmer than our hike on Saturday to UFFC.
We made it to Cabin Flat, 5400', in about 60 minutes. The first view of it from above was pretty cool. It looks like some people still drive in here but what they drive is hard to say. There are some major washouts along the road as well as a dirt berm and tree's across the road right @ Lupine. Why the road is closed may have to do with the widening of the Sheep Mountain Wilderness, but there are no signs indicating the area is closed. If you get in there and can't get out, you're so screwed!!! The view of Baden-Powell is pretty cool and one can see the Big Horn Mine as well.
The loop around the camp, 3N39B, is in pretty good condition but there is one section of about 20 yards you can not get through. The brush has taken back that part of the road. The outhouse is there and extremely clean. There are a number of camp sites with fire rings as well as tables but only two sites that appear to be used and they are in good shape if one wishes to spend a day or two there. The Prairie Fork Creek was running pretty good. The water in it was ice cold as one would expect.
On the hike back to Lupine the areas without the canopy of the forest, the sun beats you up. But overall, it was nice to see this old decommissioned camp site, and it is definitely still getting used.

kgw

Post by kgw »

Looking good! Last time I drove there (eons,eons), I was driving a 1959 VW beetle. Even made it up the winding track up the other ridge, parked it and hiked in to Upper Fish Fork. I guess my little Audi A3 is not making the drive. . .
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

and theres actually a cabin out there!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Richard N. wrote:After Saturday's adventure down to Upper Fish Fork Camp, we decided to check out the old camp site at Cabin Flat.
From Lupine @ 6650' down old 3N39 it was a relaxing 2.7 miles stroll. The forest was burnt in some areas probably from the fire in 99'.
Last time I was there I drove out there with my Wife and infant son, probably sometime in 1992 or so.
Richard N. wrote:The morning air was still cool but the hike out proved to be a lot warmer than our hike on Saturday to UFFC.
We made it to Cabin Flat, 5400', in about 60 minutes. The first view of it from above was pretty cool. It looks like some people still drive in here but what they drive is hard to say.
Illegal OHV traffic... The FS has been down there because of closure violations, hopefully these won't lead to closure of the entire area again permanently
Richard N. wrote:There are some major washouts along the road as well as a dirt berm and tree's across the road right @ Lupine. Why the road is closed may have to do with the widening of the Sheep Mountain Wilderness, but there are no signs indicating the area is closed.
There was signs there when I went there, vandals have removed them no doubt..."Sign? What sign? I didn't see any sign..."
Richard N. wrote: The Prairie Fork Creek was running pretty good. The water in it was ice cold as one would expect.
Oh man! I'm ready.. Lets go!

Tanks for the TR

Matt
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

kgw,
sorry there is no cabin at Cabin Flat.

Hi Matt.
Hope to pass you along the trail one of these days.
Me and a good hiking friend are thinking of trying to get to cabin Flat via the old trail from Vincent Gap.
We know its do-able well past Miner Vincent's Cabin but once at Mine Gulch its a guessing game following Prairie Fork.

Always good to see your posts.
Keep those saw sharpened.
Take care