Why that's just my pet snake, Reggie!

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Seriously, what is up with the rattlesnakes this summer? I've seen at least five, and I'm not tryin'.

These two lovely specimens were in Little Santa Anita canyon today. The first one was near water, in the shade. It moved out of our way, and then coiled, but didn't rattle. The second one also tried to escape us, but couldn't find a good spot, so it was a combo of movement (away) and rattling.

Snake #2:

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

saw one on the trail that goes from sunset ridge to millard canyon wednesday. In the middle of the trail. Had to throw twigs at him to get him out the way! :shock:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

What kind of rattler are they?
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Great snake encounter and pictures, I'm jealous!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I usually see a ton in the summer, whenever I go for drives and whatnot. Block the road, help the little buggers off the road.

Think they're more active this year? Kinda crummy winter last season.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I wish I could see more of them. I've only seen one so far, back in May on the C2C trail.

Al together, I've only seen 3 snakes all year.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

How's this for a picture of snakes?

Florida Light and Power found these guys in one of their tubes when they went to expand the Airport in Orlando.

They counted 87 of them, niceeeeeee.

:D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Patrick - about 4 years ago, I was inspecting a construction site near South Palm Springs and ran into a similar situation. There was almost the exact same size corrugated plastic pipe running under a small maintenance road with shrubs around. A worker found the snakes and there were at least a couple hundred. No one will ever know for sure, because the superintendant inundated the snakes iwth gas and lit them on fire. He was an A$$ big time.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

I encountered two Southern Pacific Rattlers when I did a Cloudburst Summit to Buckhorn Campground loop. The first one (photo) was in the shade, and right on the trail, next to Cooper Creek. The second one slithered right past my left foot as I was finishing up from taking a leak. After shouting a few choice explatives, I lept over him. :shock:

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kit Fox wrote:...I was finishing up from taking a leak. After shouting a few choice explatives, I lept over him. :shock:
:lol: