Car camping ideas

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I received this e-mail from a friend:
I am hoping you can help me out. My daughter is in town and we have a group of people that want to go camping this weekend. I tried to get a campsite in Big Bear but they are all full. Since you know every nook and cranny around here, I am hoping you can suggest a few campsites that would be great for car campers. Possibly close to a lake or some sort of water. I would love to go up to San Bernadino. I have looked up many campsites that were also part of Nat'l Reservations. Is there anything close to the Bridge to Nowhere either.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We probably need two campsite. Or if there is anything close or here in OC that would be good too.
In fact, I am not a good person to ask about this as the only car camping I ever do is in the desert, and this is not the best time of year to recommend that.

There are some nice state beaches around here, but I expect they would be full with only a week's notice.

Does anyone among the SGMDF brain trust have any suggestions for my lady friend? Is there anything up around Big Bear?
Nunc est bibendum
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

good luck trying to find a good spot....if they want a good car camping experience it would be best to forget big bear and hit up idyllwild....or the lake isabella /kern river area...........bugs and low water make camping horrible around here......kern river is paradise in the heat and at night if they stay at sandy flat or hobo campground they can visit the miracle hot springs.......

or camp at heaton flat near the east fork....it has tables and restroom
and is only 1/4 mile walk from the car
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

well first off not all site are reserved.... There are sites available on a first come first serve basis

But if they want something near the water good luck

There are many, many "Rustic" camping choices but these folks don't sound like the type....

[/list]
Leighton

Post by Leighton »

How about Blue Ridge Campground? I've never stayed there, but I did the Big Pines to Blue Ridge hike a while back that ends up there. Nice campground with great views of the backside of Baldy, too. The Pacific Crest trail runs right through it and it's accessible from Hwy 2. No water around except for the public facilities.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.36022,-11 ... twood%20CA

Here's a nice list of options:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreat ... blue_ridge

Everything looks to be first come first serve, so avoid the weekends if possible.