Missing hiker search July 19

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

I cant believe anyone would hike the Skyline trail in this weather. This thread had a tragic outcome
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=1660
simonov

Post by simonov »

I have railed against people doing Skyline in past years so no preaching will be forthcoming.

Gawd be praised.
Nunc est bibendum
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

One of the search and rescue personnel from Palm Springs Mounted Police has replied with the facts under the avatar of ntheno. He said that they have been called out five times in the last six weeks.
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic. ... 0&start=30 (page 3)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

While these deaths are terrible they point out the need for careful consideration of the consequences of our actions

Be prepared and all that... Is important but it is so nonspecific

I understand the SAR team members compulsion to say don't go off the trail, but this is no "magic talisman" that will keep you safe.

Hiking alone... Yes I do it often, I don't do many things I might otherwise do and maybe that is a good thing. But adventure is the spice of life for me

I have been blessed with meeting great people as seeing things that are truly amazing in my adventures and will continue to approach each new one with caution and respect for the unknown, with the knowledge we tend to overestimate our ablities

As far as the Skyline trail goes I for one am not a fan of signs, but perhaps in this case one with a body count would get the point across, Heat deaths, falls, misc Total... This year, to date Symptoms of heat illness yada yada yada

As Rich Carlson sez
"Have Fun...Be Safe"

Matt