Trail Canyon Trail 7-3-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Eric and I were not sure we'd get to hike on the long weekend, but managed to find some time on a hot Friday afternoon. We hiked up and down the Trail Canyon Trail from Big Tujunga Canyon Road on a 90+ degree day. We turned around at the Condor Peak Trail due to time constraints. We had never been in Trail Canyon before. It's beautiful, even lush in places. It also has some overgrown sections. We spend a fair amount of effort dodging poison oak (successfully). Progress was slower than we had hoped for, so we passed on any peaks. In our hurry to get going (we started after 1 PM) we both managed to forget cameras.

Map
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Yeah
It has it's moments for sure, I've hike up there plenty

Camped at Tom Lucas Cpgd a few times to boot

The brushing is being done by volunteers, and my heartfelt thanks goes out to them for their Herculean efforts!

In trail work there never seems to be an end

Thanks for the TR

Matt
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

The trail is due for another dose of volunteerism. I am going to try to find some time when it's a little less toasty. It was hot out there on Friday!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, Trail Can. is a nice spot. It's good year around hiking, although a little questionable in hot wx.

There's one switchback just past the final creek crossing before the trail climbs up the west side of the canyon to bypass the falls. That switchback is constantly being cut. I've tried stacking rocks, branches, etc. to no avail. It seems that everyone wants to cut that one switchback. I guess it's not doing that much harm.

There are a lot of nice little spots locally here in TJ/CV. I took some really nice shots of some Lillies about a month ago on the La Tuna Canyon trail.

Something that nice in Tujunga? Who'da thunk? :lol: