Dawn Mine Trail rescue

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Three hikers rescued in Angeles National Forest
5:33 PM | July 4, 2009

A Los Angeles County sheriff’s helicopter emergency crew combed a heavily forested area of the Angeles National Forest for hours in search of three stranded hikers before locating and rescuing them this afternoon, a deputy reported.

A man and two women, all in their 20s, had been hiking for four hours along the Dawn Mine Trail when they became disoriented and lost, said Deputy Rick Pedroza. Suffering from symptoms of dehydration, the "three hikers became frightened and began yelling for someone to save them,” and eventually used a cellphone to call for rescue, the deputy said.

A helicopter was dispatched to find the distressed hikers in a search that proved “extremely challenging” because of the dense forestation in the area where they had become stranded on a sheer cliff under a canopy of trees.

A paramedic was lowered from the aircraft to the hikers’ perch 100 feet above the canyon floor and helped them into the helicopter for the brief flight to a landing zone.

None of the hikers, who weren’t identified, suffered any serious injury and all were released shortly after the landing, Pedroza said.

-- Carol J. Williams
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

What a waste....

:evil:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

"hikers" They sure throw that term around loosely.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Anyone have any photos of what the area looks like where they were "stranded"?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Taco, I think this is the location where they took the wrong turn and were stranded, maybe? How can anyone be called a hiker without a map and an Idea of where they are headed? More like "Space Cadets" looking for "Planet" You Know What?

I'm at least guessing this is the view that they had in their frightened minds?
Thank God some earthlings came along to save them from themselves. :shock:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hehe yeah... the label is probably wrong.

I'm curious as to these cliffs they speak of. Must've been big crummy loose stuff... even then, for crying out loud, easy to get outta there.
MuffenMan

Post by MuffenMan »

RichardK wrote:Three hikers rescued in Angeles National Forest

A man and two women, all in their 20s.....
Ok, so it was one dude and two girls alone in the woods? Anyone see why a guy with two girls alone in the woods would call for help? :twisted:

Dont insult the rest of us by calling them hikers. :shock:
MuffenMan

Post by MuffenMan »

RichardK wrote:Three hikers rescued in Angeles National Forest

A man and two women, all in their 20s.....
Ok, so it was one dude and two girls alone in the woods? Anyone see why a guy with two girls alone in the woods would call for help? :twisted:

Dont insult the rest of us by calling them hikers. :shock: