Sugarloaf Peak: 07-03-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Finally hiked up to Sugarloaf Peak this morning. Started about 5:30a in hopes of beating the heat and the crowds in IHC. Was successful in doing both as well as reaching the peak via Falling Rock Canyon.

My GPS couldn't get a signal in FRC so I wasn't quite sure when I should start heading up the scree slope out of FRC to get to the saddle south of the peak. I started up a bit early (based on ribbons in the trees) but then traversed left (south) to a part of the slope with much, much better footing (very well ducked at this point).

Nice views from the summit. Not a big fan of the steep stuff, I must say, but a nice peak to visit. Very slow going and not much fun to descend, though there was plenty of shade at this time of day to keep it from getting too hot.

Saw plenty of familiar register entries (Norma, Phil, Tim, Lonnie, Rick Graham and Richard Piotrowski among others).

A nice cloud over Baldy...

Also had the joy of seeing FRC's resident strapon (see Tim's old TR)! I guess it isn't very biodegradable :shock:

More pics.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I saw those clouds also from Manker this morning. Around 9:15 or so. They were over towards Telegraph/ Thunder when I saw them. Very strange looking. Image

http://picasaweb.google.com/markspicccs/MtBaldy04#
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Aliems and dildos. An exciting day, to say the least.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

also glad to see no one is attempting to touch it. i wonder how long it will stay there. :lol:

remind me to come back in 10 years and do this hike and see if it's still there!
norma r

Post by norma r »

HikeUp and hvydrt,
cool cloud pix! i couldn't figure out what kind they are, but they are quite interesting. my hike up FRC was in the winter, nice snow climb.

HU,
thanks for NOT posting a waypoint to the "resident." i'd prefer to never find that piece of used gear. :roll:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I was wondering what happened to that! :oops:

Only in the Angeles!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If I find it, I'll grab it with something (not my skin), and keep throwing it until I reach a trashcan.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:Finally hiked up to Sugarloaf Peak this morning. Started about 5:30a in hopes of beating the heat and the crowds in IHC. Was successful in doing both as well as reaching the peak via Falling Rock Canyon.
Good job. Loooks like a tough hike and tough nav.
HikeUp wrote:Also had the joy of seeing FRC's resident strapon (see Tim's old TR)! I guess it isn't very biodegradable :shock:
Maybe someone wanted it in case they had to do a self arrest?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Maybe someone wanted it in case they had to do a self arrest?
Zoiks! :shock: I had to jamb a spork into my eye ten times to get rid of that visual!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Can someone please post the exact spot on a map where to go up Falling Rock Canyon to get to Sugarloaf Peak, along with any BETA on where on the Ice House Canyon trail do you cross over to get to Falling Rock Canyon, and once on the summit does a faint trail go up to Ontario? I would like to make a trip up that, hit Ontario, Big Horn, Cucamonga, Etiwanda and if I have any energy left, maybe the "Three T's".

Otherwise I will go up the IH Canyon to saddle and back track over to Sugarloaf.

Thanks
:D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

well well I have a TR for this

follow the route we took to get out of IHC and into FRC

as for the ascent to Sugarloaf, I would not veer off exactly where we did. I would go up a bit further, then veer to the saddle at 6900'.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

lilbitmo wrote:Can someone please post the exact spot on a map where to go up Falling Rock Canyon to get to Sugarloaf Peak...
Turn right at the dildo.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Seriously, though, study the Sierra Club HPS guide, Travis' report (see gpsmountaineering link at bottom of page),Tim's report (see link above), Ze's report (see link above), and Brennen's report and you'll find it.

Brennen gives the coordinates for where to turn off IHC trail to cross stream as 34deg 14.92'N 117deg 37.73'W, elevation 5260ft.

My pictures (see link above) have a short description of where to turn off IHC trail too.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Now that I have much more BETA I will plan this, but if I need to self arrest, I'm just going to fall, the hell with that safety divice you point out HIKE UP, that looks like more trouble than it's worth, but if I'm still standing I will turn at that spot.

Thanks everyone for the help :D
Tim

Post by Tim »

Good job, HikeUp. Glad to see you were able to do the route with no problems. Can't believe that strap-on is still there :lol:

Very cool cloud pics, too.