Alder Creek to Barley Flats: 27 June 2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Great hike today! We had to find a place to park on Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd as the dirt parking area was blocked with dirt. I think this is due to habitat restoration...

We started at 8:10 am and arrived at Barley Flats at ~11:00. It took us awhile to do the 3.5 miles as we continued HikeUp's trail work. We cut back lots of whitethorn, chamise, and manzanita that was choking the trail.
Typical trail at lower elevations:

and at mid-elevation:

There was one section with quite a bit of Plummer's Mariposa Lilies in bloom:

I am standing at the exact same spot as the person on the cover of the latest Trails of the Angeles book. It is interesting to see how the plants have grown.

We had good views of Strawberry Peak:

Unfortunately, on our way up, Air 5 had to help with a person that reportedly died at the Vetter Peak Lookout. We had a radio that could listen to the Sherriff's Dept. (One of our hikers was a deputy.)

I don't know if the picture will turn out but this is Air-5 hovering over Vetter Lookout.

The road before Barley Flats was a great place to each lunch and rest.

We also did more pruning on the return trip to Alder Creek. Temps were in the 90's by the time we arrived back at the start. I definitely recommend this hike for the fall, winter, and spring months. The views into the Big Tujunga Canyon were spectacular. I would also like to try this as a through hike from Red Box via Mt Lawlor. Has anyone done this trip?
Again, thanks to HikeUp for his previous trail work!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the TR and pics. Props to you guys for clearing the trail - I get the feeling it is in constant need of it. When I go again I'll definitely carry the loppers.

I really like this trail alot and think the views of Upper Big Tujunga are fantastic. But you guys are nuts for doing it in this heat! :D

Sorry to hear of the incident at Vetter.

Zé did the Red Box to Vetter via Lawlor, Barley Flats and Alder Creek - here's his TR.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The temps were actually perfect going up... in the 70s maybe 80 at the top. Someone turned the heat up on the way down, though. Thankfully, it was very breezy on the down trip.

We couldn't say exactly who had the cardiac arrest at Vetter. The radio chatter made it sound like the docent. BTW, it was the SECOND death of the day in the ANF ...and it was only 10:30 am!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:Thanks for the TR and pics. Props to you guys for clearing the trail - I get the feeling it is in constant need of it. When I go again I'll definitely carry the loppers.

I really like this trail alot and think the views of Upper Big Tujunga are fantastic. But you guys are nuts for doing it in this heat! :D

Sorry to hear of the incident at Vetter.

Zé did the Red Box to Vetter via Lawlor, Barley Flats and Alder Creek - here's his TR.
Hey, HikeUp, where did you get those Fiskars loppers? They look like they're a good size for trail work. I've got some big heavy ones that are somewhere in the neighborhood of 3' long, but they're a bit much to carry unless all I plan to do is trail work.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Hey, HikeUp, where did you get those Fiskars loppers? They look like they're a good size for trail work. I've got some big heavy ones that are somewhere in the neighborhood of 3' long, but they're a bit much to carry unless all I plan to do is trail work.
I picked them up at Sears, but not all Sears seem to carry all models of Fiskars. Other retailers carry them too - search Fiskars website for where to find them locally. I paid $19.99, they weigh about 13 oz, 15 inches long, cuts up to 1.25 inch diameter, easy to strap onto the outside of a daypack and do a good job of cutting without wearing you out. There is a $29.99 version but I'm not sure what the advantages of it are - maybe more durable, although the ones I have seem very durable.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Hey, HikeUp, where did you get those Fiskars loppers? They look like they're a good size for trail work. I've got some big heavy ones that are somewhere in the neighborhood of 3' long, but they're a bit much to carry unless all I plan to do is trail work.
I picked them up at Sears, but not all Sears seem to carry all models of Fiskars. Other retailers carry them too - search Fiskars website for where to find them locally. I paid $19.99, they weigh about 13 oz, 15 inches long, cuts up to 1.25 inch diameter, easy to strap onto the outside of a daypack and do a good job of cutting without wearing you out. There is a $29.99 version but I'm not sure what the advantages of it are - maybe more durable, although the ones I have seem very durable.
Weird. The weight and dimensions appear to be identical. One does have yellow grips instead of orange. Yellow is for more costly to produce I'm sure. :?:

Looks like a nice portable set. I may have to pick up some.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Picked up a set last night. They seem like a good piece of equipment. Thanks for the tip.