Short routes up Mt Hawkins?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

The shortest routes that I can find descriptions of give one-way distances of 3 miles (both from going up to Windy Gap, and Dawson's Saddle).

Has anyone tried going up to Mt Hawkins via these starting points?

Preferably, 'B' or 'C'.

Thanks,

LD

Post by LD »

wrote:The shortest routes that I can find descriptions of give one-way distances of 3 miles (both from going up to Windy Gap, and Dawson's Saddle).
O.K. Who are you and what have you done with Ze?...the Ze we know never takes the shortest routes :wink:
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I have been up both ways to Hawkins.
But you're talking from Windy Gap!! You should look at a starting point like Pine Hollow or Islip Saddle. Then look at Dawson Saddle.
From Islip or Pine its a lot longer than from Dawson.
I was just up there last Saturday and it's a cake walk from Dawson.
We started @ Dawson, went the Burnham then Baden-Powell. Then back over to Throop and then Hawkins.
Only 10.8 miles for the day.
Loks of hikers on the trail starting at Dawson.
Baden-Powell was a zoo with all the scouts and everyone else. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
What makes you want to hike that nob anyway???
Throop is higher as is Burnham.
All though, from Hawkins you can hike out Copter Ridge.
Now there's a hike for you.
Its as good as Ross.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Next time I go there I'll be going via D(well D then up to ridge C). I remember B&C being hassles. E is OK, but out of the way for a direct route.

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Well basically I want to do a traverse including Islip, S Mt Hawkins, Mt, Hawkins, & Copter Ridge so don't want to take too many miles between ACH and Mt Hawkins if not necessary. Maybe it won't matter much either way but I figured I could cut off a mile or two (3 miles for 1000 ft gain is a bit much).
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I always thought this point was where to start for the shortest way to Islip/Hawkins/Copter Ridge. A quick jaunt up to Windy Gap and take it from there.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

It is, and will be either an entrance / exit point for me, but was considering a small car shuttle and cutting off a few miles. Starting further east off the ACH, up to Hawkins and going around all the peaks, finishing at Islip and down to cars.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

well there looks to be a hps route starting at 'C', so that should work