What backpack do you have?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I've finally decided its time to stay out in the wilderness after all these times going out hiking. But I need to find a decent sized backpack that'll carry me through at least a few days.
I'm 5'11, and need some suggestions! I'll be purchasing a new sleeping bag to go with this so the only issue is really:

how big for a few nights?
price range:below 250
No real desire to have the lightest thing possible, but I do enjoy having everything I could ever need out when I'm camping, and maybe a few more items, so want a decent amount of space...

I found this board to be very helpful when picking up winter items, need some help if anyone has any suggestions from those of you who do the backpacking thing!

Post by 406 »

Danna Design terraplane overkill= best pack ever made, it's big, it's black, it's bad ass

They don't make them anymore...might be able to find them on ebay, but make sure you get one that was made in Montana.

I don't know much about newer packs, because I have no reason to look for one.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

A friend of mine has the Gregory Palisade and it looks liek a really nice pack. He claims it's the best one he's ever owned. It's 80 liters, which seems like a bit much to me, but if you want volume, this one gots it.

My dad jsut bought the Gregory baltoro and loves it. I think it's 70 liters.

I have the Osprey Atmos 65, and I have no problems with it.

I think the bes tthing to do, is talk with some folks at REI, try a couple on, and see what fits your body the best. Then from there, jsut figure out what size pack you need. I think 65-70 liters is more than enough for multi-day trips (3-5 days).
simonov

Post by simonov »

If you are just starting out, get a cheap (used) external frame pack. They are easy to fit, work well and are very inexpensive, especially at garage sales or on Craigslist. Don't go spending hundreds of dollars on a fancy pack until you really know what you want and why.

I bought this pack in 1982 (not a typo) and am only this year retiring it because I found a very nice internal frame from from Osprey:

Generally, the only gear I ever recommend noobs go out and spend money on are boots. It's always best to get yourself good, reliable, comfortable footwear. And maybe a good sleeping bag if you sleep cold (unlike me). Beyond that, I'd suggest borrowing, renting and buying used gear until you have a better idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

Most of my current outfit was purchased in 1982, and I am only now starting to replace some of the bigger items, like stove, pack and tent, with newer, improved gear. Next year I will probably buy new boots. I'm not sure if I will ever get a new sleeping bag.
Nunc est bibendum
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

406 wrote:best pack ever made, it's big, it's black, it's bad ass
Nice!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I concur with Simonov's recommendation: borrow or rent equipment for a while until you get a better sense of what works for you. If you must buy, then an external frame pack will be much less expensive. You can find decent ones at garage sales, etc. Nothing wrong w/ an external frame pack; they carry weight very well and breathe a whole lot better than internal frame packs (great for hot wx). External frame packs aren't very good if you like bushwhacking or scrambling or tend to use a lot of poorly maintained trails.
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

One more vote for renting or borrowing gear, and another for an external frame backpack. I've got an external frame pack that was also purchased about 1982 and its still going strong after replacing the hip belt and patching a few rodent-chewed holes ($@#!%! squirrels!). Its my "go-to" pack of choice for summer travel on trails or mild winter travel. Its also outlasted two internal frame packs. You can still buy them at most generic sporting goods stores (Sports Authority, etc), at some REI stores, or on the internet (Campmor). About $100-$150.
michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

Another vote for the E-frame. I've had a Jansport Yosemite for more than 10 years now that is great for any short/mid length trip, and it's pretty much my go to pack year round. Lots of pockets and easy panel access give me plenty of room. I can even stow the bear canister without blinking. I had a part break on me last trip, and Jansport sent me two new ones free of charge. Hard to find customer service like that anymore. As mentioned though, it's a little broad in the beam, so it's not so good if you're into bushpushing or trailblazing. My $.02.