Solo San Bernardino Peak 6/17/09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I did a solo hike up and down the San Bernardino Peak Trail today. I saw only one other hiker. He was coming down from Limber Pine, after an overnighter. Other than that, it was plenty of welcome solitude for me. The weather was quite nice, albeit a little mercurial. I enjoyed blue skies, puffy white clouds, dark clouds, a light breeze and a few raindrops. I thought Iw as hiking at a leisurely pace, as I took 77 pictures and a handful of short videos. However, I did the round trip, including a few nice breaks, in 6 hours, 50 minutes.

Pics from my lovely day are here: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 898992188/
simonov

Post by simonov »

I spent the night of 6 June at Limber Pine Bench and we went up to the peak the next morning. That's one of my favorite trails in the Wilderness and certainly Limber Pine Bench is my favorite trail camp, but for some reason hardly anyone ever goes up there. That trail is always lonely and quiet, even on summer weekends. I can only guess it's for the lack of a big name summit like San Gorgonio at the end of it.
Nunc est bibendum
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Thanks for posting the report. From Orange County, it's a bit of a drive to reach the San Bernardino trailheads which is why we spend our summers wearing out Mt. Baldy. But now I am curious about the trail. Are there any springs where one could draw water? Or do you have to carry enough water to last the whole 16 miles?
simonov

Post by simonov »

There's good water just above Limber Pine Bench, maybe six mile from the trailhead.

There is also usually water at Columbine Spring, about five miles in, but you have to walk a ways off the trail to get to it. The spring above Limber Pine Bench is right on the trail.
Nunc est bibendum