Big Bad Iron Mountain 6/11/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Iron mountain has been on my radar and lurking over my shoulder since I joined this forum. The groups description of it and the intimidating hike has been gnawing at my belly like no other, so two friends and I decided to knock it off our bucket lists. We could not have asked for better conditions as we set out at 09:00 o'clock on a cloudy June day. The cloudy almost drizzly conditions caused us to be drenched by the time we reached the saddle, with water falling off every bush we touched. No complaints here, it definately cooled us off as we trudged up the trail. I can only imagine how tough this would be under normal June conditons 90+ degrees. :shock: When reached about the 6,000 foot mark we emerged through the clouds for a spectacular view! 8) We were truly blessed with views of the surrounding peaks, Baden Powell, Baldy etc. The LA basin and views south were pretty socked in but that made for a pretty cool view non the less.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N06/?saved=1
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Way to go! You're now an official Iron Mountain Victim. I mean Veteran. :)
norma r

Post by norma r »

Good job Bill! Cooler weather is definitely a plus when doing Iron.

I want to go back there on a day when i can see the view. I have seen Iron from all the other peaks you mentioned, but did not get to see the other peaks from Iron in January.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:I can only imagine how tough this would be under normal June conditons 90+ degrees. :shock:
Oh, yes indeed. My first attempt was in 95+ weather. I didn't gain the summit that time. Not much fun in that kind of wx.

Congrats to you. Anyone who can do Iron is a pretty darn solid hiker.

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

congrats on summiting the bad one!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Way to go Bill. I think I'll be tackling this one again in the next couple weeks. I can only pray for cool weather.