Unsuccessful Triplet Rock attempt

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool shit, even if you didn't reach those damn rocks. That area is so clean and different, it's always badass to get out there.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Amazing photos!! That looks so cool out there. You guys climbing the scree slope looked like a whole lotta fun... :shock:

Where was the lion track exactly??

I though I might see you out there, but I was back to my car by 2:30.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I have some hikes for you guys..LOL. That first photo is neat. Looking forward to seeing you guys get there..well within your reach. Then you can grab West ridge...probably just an extra thousand feet or so. :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

TacoDelRio wrote:Cool shit, even if you didn't reach those damn rocks. That area is so clean and different, it's always badass to get out there.
yeah it was a lot of fun. at a quick glance that route doesn't feasible, but looking at it more, i think there's still a chance it would work, and probably not having to drop too far down, and avoid brush.
cougarmagic wrote:Amazing photos!! That looks so cool out there. You guys climbing the scree slope looked like a whole lotta fun... :shock:

Where was the lion track exactly??

I though I might see you out there, but I was back to my car by 2:30.
right around here or so

one the last places I'd want to run into a mountain lion!
AW wrote:I have some hikes for you guys..LOL. That first photo is neat. Looking forward to seeing you guys get there..well within your reach. Then you can grab West ridge...probably just an extra thousand feet or so. :D
yeah we'll get there, probably same energy spent as sunday. just have to stay on course!

i saw that west ridge. just shook my head. i don't want to think about it right now! :P
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

Zé,

On trip like that, how much water do you carry?
LD

Post by LD »

Triplet's isn't bad enough so you wanted to add another 1400' of gain? :shock: ...... sounds like another Ze trip. lol

Looks like you hit the weather window just right. To bad your visibilty went to hell. It helps to keep the prize in sight :wink:

That gully sounds familiar. On our first trip one of our party tried that for a little ways while we continued following the ridgeline. He disappeared for awhile until he caught up to us further down the ridge. Said something about cliffs. I'm not sure if that's the same one you went down though.

I'm sure you'll get it next time but aiming for 5 hours?Are you all related to Rick Kent :?:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good job on an exploratory. Any time you get that far in on an exploratory hike, ya done good. Just consider this a recon for the real attempt. :)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Kit Fox wrote:Zé,

On trip like that, how much water do you carry?
Well hard to give one number as it totally depends on the temperature. It was pretty cool for this one, so I think 5 liters was enough (though I was somewhat dehydrated at the end).

If it was warmer, I'd need 8, 9 liters. For Big Horn ridge, it was warm, and I brought 8 liters, but needed 9. Yikes!

Of course depends on body mass as well as everyone is just different.

LD wrote:Triplet's isn't bad enough so you wanted to add another 1400' of gain? :shock: ...... sounds like another Ze trip. lol

That gully sounds familiar. On our first trip one of our party tried that for a little ways while we continued following the ridgeline. He disappeared for awhile until he caught up to us further down the ridge. Said something about cliffs. I'm not sure if that's the same one you went down though.

I'm sure you'll get it next time but aiming for 5 hours?Are you all related to Rick Kent :?:
Lol next time I'll stay on the ridge. BTW, how far down do you have to descend that gully? do you lose a lot of elevation?

I'm not "shooting" for 5 hrs as this is not the sort of hike to try to hurry on :P. I do think 6 hrs is reasonable though. Trying to follow Rick Kent on such a hike would probably leave me collapsed on some saddle as lion prey!

Hikin_Jim wrote:Good job on an exploratory. Any time you get that far in on an exploratory hike, ya done good. Just consider this a recon for the real attempt. :)

Exactly. Next time I'll bring more people...I enjoy organizing death marches!!! :twisted:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:Next time I'll bring more people...I enjoy organizing death marches!!! :twisted:
:lol: There you go! That's the spirit. (and with you "in spirit" is as close as I want to come to one of your death marches) :wink:
LD

Post by LD »

wrote: Lol next time I'll stay on the ridge. BTW, how far down do you have to descend that gully? do you lose a lot of elevation?
If your talking about the gulley at 6000' I believe we dropped around 400' before we started to contour up to the ridgeline again.
There's probably a better way but we didn't have a lotta time to look for a shorter path around those ridge rocks.