Cactus to Clouds 5/31/09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I am happy to share that I hiked Cactus to Clouds for the first time yesterday! I’m even happier to say that my legs feel great, without any soreness whatsoever!

My buddy Jeff and I started out dark and early at the Desert Museum. It was warm and quite humid. The most I’d ever climbed in one day up to this point was Whitney, so I was wondering how 10,400 would feel. I’d heard the first 8,000 were tough. I did notice the lower part of the Skyline Trail was fairly steep, while the middle was more moderate. The last mile or so got pretty steep, but nothing too bad. At least, nothing as bad as I’d imagined. Plus, Jeff took me up Iron Mountain a couple months ago. After the last 3 miles to that summit, I’m having difficulty calling many other trails “steep.” Ha ha. It’s all about perspective.

Anyway, we enjoyed a splendid sunrise as we made our climb. It was interesting, making our way over the first few “humps” before we finally got to the final approach to the tram station. I’ll admit, I was glad to get there! It meant we’d climbed our initial 8,000 feet, and it also meant a nice break and a sink to wash my grubby hands.

After a leisurely break, we swung by the ranger station for our permit. Unfortunately, Jeff was still recovering from a bad respiratory infection, and had been feeling terrible all morning. His body simply was not ready for such a strenuous day. I will tell anyone gladly that Jeff is the strongest, most perseverant hiking buddy I’ve had, or could ever ask for. I thought I was strong when we started hiking together, but he’s pushed my limits! However, we knew the summit wasn’t in the cards for him yesterday. As badly as he wanted to continue, we agreed it best that he turn back, about a quarter of a mile past the ranger station.

So, I continued on. He had done this before and wasn’t about to let me miss my opportunity to complete the hike. Quite determined, I picked up my pace and set out for the summit. I’d been to the top of San Jacinto before, but not this way! I met several friendly hikers as I made my final climb. My legs felt surprisingly fresh and I was in good spirits. I cannot even explain how good it felt to get to the summit! I think it was as satisfying as my first Whitney summit. After all, I remember hearing about c2c for the first time about 5 years ago. I clearly recall saying, “I’ll never be able to do that!” Well, I got stronger, and turns out I could do that. (Hey, 10 years ago I was fat, out of shape and could barely walk a neighborhood block without needing a break! If you’ve seen me on the trail, you know I’ve made some changes!)

I enjoyed about 30 minutes on the summit. The weather was wonderful, and the shy was blue with a few passing clouds. I met some nice folks up on the summit, too! I then made my quick dash back to the tram station, feeling exuberant. I said hi to pretty much anyone, flashing them my goofy grin.

I loved this hike and will do it again…and again.

Pics are here: www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 119368972/
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Thats pretty cool. I didn't think you would think it was very hard.
Liz

Post by Liz »

It was hard, but not as hard as I expected, and I'm stronger than I've ever been.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Yeah, it sure is an accomplishment.
I thought about it but decided to await a more favorable weather opportunity ...
Liz

Post by Liz »

With a 4 AM start, the weather was perfect yesterday!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

congrats!
Quite an accomplishment!

I'll get my sorry butt up there, hopefully in the fall

Regards
Matt
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'm sure I'll do it again in the fall!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Dayum, I've never wanted to bother with this killer climb, but now you make me kinda want to try it.
Nunc est bibendum
Liz

Post by Liz »

In my opinion, every strong hiker needs to tackle this big boy. You just need strength, experience and mental fortitude! ;-)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Great job. You were lucky to get a fairly cool day for this time of year. The nice thing about C2C is that you don't have to complete the trip and hike all the way back down to Palm Springs - the tram lets you cheat on the return trip. If Iron Mountain had a tram that could take you down that steep section it would be much easier. :)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

See what you've done!

Now you're gonna have to do Badwater (-250ft) to Telescope Peak (11,049ft)!

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... -250-.html
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

mattmaxon wrote:Now you're gonna have to do Badwater (-250ft) to Telescope Peak (11,049ft)!
Thats a bada$$ hike.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hmmmm....Badwater to Telescope...I just may do that!
Liz

Post by Liz »

I just read about Badwater-Telescope. This fall, I'm so there!

Any other challenges for me, boys? :wink:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Liz wrote:I just read about Badwater-Telescope.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mattmaxon91040/2008_10_25#

Photos I took on the Summit October 25th 2008

It's a nice moderate hike.... from Mahogany Flat

There are several challenging mountaineering type routes from Panamint Valley side to the summit as well.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'd need to become a mountaineer...I'm a mere hiker. :?
LD

Post by LD »

Nice job Liz,looks like you lucked out on the wx but so you won't be tempted to let all that training go to waste I see where Ze is trolling for some vict..... uh, hikers for some marathon peak bagging on the SGW board :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

:P
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Looks like is was everything you expected and great job Liz.

:D