Mount Lowe Railway hike

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Yesterday was a great day for a hike in the front range. Gets a bit hurried towards the end, but there was too much going on to fit it all into five minutes.

A fun and relatively easy hike, with lots of history.
Nunc est bibendum
Travis

Post by Travis »

For some reason I never noticed this post before, Great video. Very well done. I love the history of this old railway, have hiked it many times. The loop you guys did was a good one. Did you notice if Ye Old Tavern campsite still had wood burning stoves for fires? I heard they were removed, I used to love hiking up there as a overnight hike, leave Friday afterwork, hike up sunset ridge fireroad and get great views of the sunset, complete the hike in the dark, set up camp, go to Inspiration Point and check out the night city views, go to sleep, wake up and descend via the Tom Sloan Trail and Millard Canyon. Fun trip and get home Saturday by noon and still have the weekend. Wouldn't be the same if I could not have a fire, though.

If you are trying to fit your video in under 5 minutes in order to post on Youtube, you may want to check out Google Video, they have no limits on file size nor time. That is what I typically end up using myself. They are free also.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Travis wrote:For some reason I never noticed this post before, Great video. Very well done.
Thank you.

Last week I experimented with a couple of shotgun slings (I make shotgun parts) so that I could carry the camera on its monopod hands-free. A single-point sling was convenient but the camera and monopod bounced and moved around too much while walking, so I rigged up what we call a two-point or carry sling. That seems to work well, at the cost of biting into my neck. I'd like to take it up with me to wherever I am going this weekend.
Did you notice if Ye Old Tavern campsite still had wood burning stoves for fires? I heard they were removed,
I'm pretty sure I saw them there, but now you have me doubting my memory. In any case, even if they are there I am sure that most of the year there would be restrictions against building fires, unless the drought is really over.
If you are trying to fit your video in under 5 minutes in order to post on Youtube, you may want to check out Google Video, they have no limits on file size nor time. That is what I typically end up using myself. They are free also.
Thanks. I might look into that, but aside from file size the main reason I want to keep the videos to five minutes is I have noticed that's about the longest most people are interested in sitting through one. In fact, it's maybe a little longer than optimal.

The YouTube limit is ten minutes or 100 MBytes. I have one ten minute video up, and in retrospect you really have to be interested in the subject matter to sit through all ten minutes. I have also run up against the 100 MByte limit with much shorter videos (in .WMV format), if there is a lot of panning in the videos. Heavy panning or other scene changes limits the compression you can get compared to, at the other extreme, a video of a talking head where the background never changes.

Watching other folks' videos, I am constantly amazed how so many of them are able to tell a good story within something like three minutes or so. I have such a hard time paring my footage down. I need to keep practicing to get a better feel for what to cut and how to cut.
Nunc est bibendum