Suicide Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Yesterday, three of us started at the Stonyvale Picnic area and hiked the short (about one to 1 and 1/2 hours depending on your pace) approach to the drop-in point. There are some steep sections on this ridge approach but Matt Maxon has been kind enough to set up some hand-lines along the route in case you want some assistance.

This is a great canyon. There are 8 rappels, with the first one being an exciting 200 footer called Lover's Leap (see video below). The other drops include two more 100 footers. The canyon was dry except for some trickles down a couple of the lower drops.

Note that the original route has you hiking to the top of Mt. Lukens from the Grizzly Flat trailhead and then descending to the drop-in. This route adds about 4-5 hours to the day, as opposed to ours, which is called the Maxon Route. We were done in about 4 and 1/2 hours and so it's a great canyon if you only have part of a day. Caveat: not a beginner canyon; there are some awkward starts and, in the case of one drop, a very precarious short climb to get to the tree anchor to rig the rope.

Abandoned Cannibis growing site near drop in to Suicide Canyon. Note water hose on right.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Glad you guys found it enjoyable!

Cheers
Matt
Augie

Post by Augie »

Matt,

Well, I'm glad I'm getting a chance to thank you directly for putting up this route. Great work! See you out there sometime.

Augie
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Augie wrote:Matt,

Well, I'm glad I'm getting a chance to thank you directly for putting up this route. Great work! See you out there sometime.

Augie
No worries there
You gotta try Silver On the Side (SOtS) now!

http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/blog.php?b=191

I call the "Maxon Route" Horseshoe Trail (Brennen! :lol: )

Post by 406 »

looks fun.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Matt,

The link you posted requires membership on that site.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:Matt,

The link you posted requires membership on that site.
Oooooops...

TR: Silver on the side 2009_02_22 VIA Horseshoe Trail

* ACA Rating: 3B IV
* Our hiking time: 8hrs (est)
* Our Hiking distance: 6½ miles (est)
* Elevation loss: 1670 feet (est)
* Elevation gain: 1670 feet (est)
* Required equipment: Standard canyoneering gear 2, 200ft ropes, 100ft webbing 12 quicklinks
* Rappels: 9 (largest 180ft)
* Hazards: vehicle burglaries*, pot farmers, heat, loose/falling rock
* USGS TOPO map(s) Condor Peak, CA

General description:
After looking at SOtS from Big-T for sometime it was decided to attempt it from the Big-T side up the Horseshoe Trail to Suicide Cyn. Peeling off a short ways out of the campsite
Bernd and I had explored this the week before and concluded it was in fact possible, having hiked and cut our way through some of the brush
Emails assembled 4 canyoneers and the date was set!
(Note: all coordinates are WGS84 datum)

Trailhead*:
Stonyvale Picnic

The Trip:
This trip follows the route that was opened to Suicide Cyn I call Horse Shoe Trail, we proceeded up Big-T from Stonyvale Picnic crossing the river 3 times, bear rt at a faint use trail 0.58 miles from Stonyvale, past a 4” pipe / post painted brown to a use trail that goes up to an Oak shaded bench.

This is the Horse Shoe Trail. It wastes no time ascending steeply through the brush. @ About 1 mile you come to a small landing pad for a helo and a set of power poles. This is a good spot to catch your breath, enjoy the view and check out the first rap in Suicide Cyn

Above here you cross a narrow ridge and ascend a couple very steep spots, where handlines have been installed to aid pack laden canyoneers to get up. Thankfully the trail becomes less intense but still a 15% grade, until it starts to level, and then gradually descends a bit, until you come to an old campsite used by long gone pot farmers.

Here the trail makes a sharp left starting a gradual ascent, with plenty of Poison Oak to keep you on your toes, the trail starts turning to the west. At 2830ft (34.27404,-118.22343 ) there is a gradual right turn to the northwest, this is where we turn off Horse Shoe Trail, following the old Edison Trail
This should be easy to follow until it makes a sharp turn right toward the talus covered slope @ 3018 ft (34.27315,-118.22475) This is about 0.4 miles from where we left the Horse Shoe Trail. We stayed in the gully under the trees which becomes steeper with every step.

The loppers where soon unpacked as we proceeded up the ever narrowing gully until the ridge was in sight, we turned left at an outcrop making the final push (3277ft), reaching the ridge line at 3311ft (34.27174,-118.22565) An area was quickly cleared and we donned our gear, an anchor was set waist high in a bomber scrub oak and the first canyoneer went over with the loppers in hand.

This drop in was about 60-100ft (34.27162,-118.22558,3265) putting you a short way from the first big rappel in Silver On the Side, the 4th mentioned in Chris Brennen's beta (34.27159,-118.22438,3168)
We followed Chris Brennen's existing beta from here.

We stopped at the pot farmers campsite for lunch, now long abandoned though most of the piping, jugs, fertilizer bags, rat poison and just plain trash was still here. What an eyesore / mini toxic waste dump

I have wanted to work with the Forest Service or Sheriff's Department to setup a dedicated group who would come into these sites and package this stuff for removal by helicopter. The prospect of hauling all this out on my back is daunting. There are many such sites in the local mountains, this is another in a long list of crimes perpetrated by these individuals

Matt

*Due to repeated auto burglaries at all Big-T trailheads it is highly recommended you not leave anything in your vehicle, not in the trunk or anywhere else, leave the windows down too...Oh the joys of urban canyoneering!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Thanks for the Silver on the Side description.

There will never be another Curly.