Post by Ze Hiker »

Good stuff!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Goddamn internets!
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

I've been wanting to hike to Ross Mtn. for quite some time. The geocache on that peak has been on my to-do list. What were the temps like on Ross, and the trip back up to Baden-Powell?
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Ross is one of those mountains that once you hike it, you're saying never again. Sort of like Langley and Iron MT. Then the next day you want to do it again.

Try hiking Iron from out of Fish Fork. Now that's a hike.
Follow the East Fork past the Bridge to Nowhere. Continue to Fish Fork and then head east. At the first drainage behind Iron, head up uP UP. You can go down via the main route to Iron Saddle and then to Heaton Flats
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Kit Fox wrote:I've been wanting to hike to Ross Mtn. for quite some time. The geocache on that peak has been on my to-do list. What were the temps like on Ross, and the trip back up to Baden-Powell?
Yeah some of the hikers found the geocache, at a great viewpoint 1/4 mile south of Ross. I think they just left it, I wasn't really paying attention.

Temps were fine at Ross, it was overall a moderate temp day. The hike back is steep, but broken up into basically two 1000 ft sections with a flat part in the middle. It's tough, but not terrible relative to some other hikes. Not nearly as bad as Iron.
Richard N. wrote:Ross is one of those mountains that once you hike it, you're saying never again. Sort of like Langley and Iron MT. Then the next day you want to do it again.

Follow the East Fork past the Bridge to Nowhere. Continue to Fish Fork and then head east. At the first drainage behind Iron, head up uP UP. You can go down via the main route to Iron Saddle and then to Heaton Flats
I'd like to attack Ross from the south..haven't come across any TR doing it that way. Upper portion looks feasible but will have to recon from the East Fork when checking out Stanley Miller mine.

That Fish Fork hike is one Augie did I think. He believe its the toughest hike in these mountains, you agree? I'd like to try that.

One could also hike up toward Stanley Miller mine, then follow an old trail that heads a bit west to gain the ridge. That also looks 'interesting'.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I'll agree, the trek up the north face of Iron is without a doubt the toughest hike in the San Gabriels. Maybe getting out to the Triplets south of Twin Peaks would be a good comparison.

As far as finding the trail from The Stanley Miller Mines, there are traces of trail here and there but nothing that really goes any where. My last time there was 20+ years ago and it was shady at best then.
If you get there, look for one of the old mine sites. There is an old cash register in there from the days when the Allison and Stanley were operational. We figured it had to be from a small general store at the mine site. When we were here last, there was still traces, ever so slight, of the trail that linked the Allison with the Stanley Miller.

Those miners from day past really had their act together.

What most people do not know is that more people hiked during the Great Hiking Era than hike today.
And we think we know everything.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Richard N. wrote:
I'd be interested in that hike. :shock:
LD

Post by LD »

Nice job Ze..... good time of the year to do that peak. When it's hot doing that 2000' back up sucks big time.

Those two girls you met are friends of mine. I was supposed to go with them Saturday but I've been out of commission for the last few weeks.
They told me they went right past Ross until they ran into you guys further down the ridge and you "re-directed" them :)
I guess they still need me for my navigational "skills" :wink:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Richard N. wrote: Those miners from day past really had their act together.

What most people do not know is that more people hiked during the Great Hiking Era than hike today.
And we think we know everything.
The mines around Iron Mt are just impressive. Carrying all that stuff up to Allison Mine, just impressive. Baldora too. I'm sure the others are the same, or even more impressive.

And yeah, we got it easy today for sure.

LD wrote: Those two girls you met are friends of mine. I was supposed to go with them Saturday but I've been out of commission for the last few weeks.
They told me they went right past Ross until they ran into you guys further down the ridge and you "re-directed" them :)
I guess they still need me for my navigational "skills" :wink:
lol. yeah but they seemed to be doing impressive stuff. One mentioned doing C2C and Falling Rock canyon, and I was like, who are they going with?

Now I know :)

p.s. I ran into my friend Lorraine at the rideshare, I guess you've hiked with her before, as well as Bill. Now things are making sense!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Good stuff! 8)

The bottom part of Ross would make a great hike if the brush isnt too bad...
LD

Post by LD »

wrote: p.s. I ran into my friend Lorraine at the rideshare, I guess you've hiked with her before, as well as Bill. Now things are making sense!
:lol: Good people both. Always up for something crazy. But if you know Bill you already know that :)