Baldy 5-23-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

My son abandoned me this week -- sort of. He bicycled from Glendale to Manker Flat on Thursday and camped for a couple of nights. On Friday he ran into some other college kids who could use some guiding, so he led them up the Ski Hut Trail. He biked back home today.

So, I hiked up Baldy today. Skies were clear (locally, at least) and temperatures mostly in the 60s. I went up Register Ridge from Manker Flat to Mt. Harwood, Mt. Baldy, West Baldy, and back to Baldy. After lunch, I headed down via the Backbone Trail to the ski lodge, then down the fire road back to Manker Flat.

There were plenty of folks heading up today, although the solitude on Register Ridge was complete. I tan into lilbitmo and vbrian on Mt. Harwood and JEFFSCOF on Baldy.

Pictures
Tim

Post by Tim »

Is that your son's mountain bike locked to the sign next to the trash cans in the 3rd photo? I was also on Baldy today and as I finished my hike, I saw that bike and wondered if someone was doing the Bear Flats trail or the 3Ts and had dropped off the bike to ride back down to the village or IHC. Just riding up Mt. Baldy Rd is impressive. To do it from Glendale is crazy!

There did appear to be some sort of jamboree going on at the Manker Campground.

I did LD's no-name ridge (west side ridge of San Antonio Canyon) but did not continue on to the summit due to sheer laziness :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Tim -- I did mention that mountain bike to Eric when I got home. However, Eric had a road bike and headed down the hill before 8 AM. The mountain bike was there when I headed up and still there when I got back.

Eric commented that the Manker campground got considerably livelier this morning. There were people looking for campsites at 6:45 AM. He was happy to clear out early. It's going to be a wild weekend.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Alan,

Great to meet you, Saturday was a great day on the mountian. Great Pictures and hope to see you on the trail again soon.

I'm going to post my TR once Bryan sends me his copy of the pictures.

Lilbitmo :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice pictures, Alan.

My son and I were up there on Memorial Day. I thought I had found the last remaining Snow Flower in the area, but apparently you found another :wink:

Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 834929840/

Dave
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

It was great seeing you on Baldy. We keep meeting on the top of summits we'll have to plan a SG or Baldy hike next month Alan. See you.

Jeff S
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Alan,

Just curious, where did Eric secure his bike?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

EManBevHills wrote:Just curious, where did Eric secure his bike?
I believe that he locked it to a tree, although a less visible one than in the picture I took of someone else's bike. I would ask him but I am on a non-mountaineering expedition in Kansas at the moment.

He left his sleeping bag, etc. with Mike at the snack bar.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Danke.

A lot of road bikes are worth more than the cars parked at Manker.....