San Jacinto - 2 Weekends in a Row "ENUFFFFF!!!!!"

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I'm rolling two trips into one report:

Last week on Friday (5-15-09), I hooked up with a friend to do the C2C trail. I wasn't exactly excited to do it, but was looking forward to seeing just how challenging it was. We started at the museum at 4:15am and a third person I had met in the parking lot had joined us. We were moving at a pretty good clip and within a quarter mile or so, I can hear some real heavy breathing from the new guy we met. Within another quarter mile or so, this guy sounded like he was about to collapse. I stopped for a momment to check in on him, and he suggested he should turn around and try this trail another day. Figuring it was only the first half mile of a 12 mile up hill trail, I thought it a good idea he turn around too. I'm not sure what made him think he can do it to begin with, but at least he turned around early.

Anyway, my friend and I continued up, past the picnic tables, and maintained a pretty good clip all the way to Flat Rock. She lead the first 5 miles or so and I lead the rest of the way. From Flat Rock, we continued to Coffman's Crag where the real fun began. (side note: as we approached Coffman's, we ran into our first and only patch of snow just off trail maybe 15'x6'). From Coffman's, we could see the saddle and the sky line up at Long Valley, but the trail was a little difficult to follow at first. We managed, going mostly straight uphill and completed the skyline section in pretty decent time and feeling pretty good. We recuperated and finished the rest of our trip with nothing too eventful.

I wasn't too thrilled with the scenery on the lower portion of the C2C trail. I know it's a "desert" trail, but I normally look for more "scenery" on a trail. After the hike, I thought to myself that I wouldn't do this hike, but maybe once a year. Not because it was hard or anything, but I found it rather boring (the lower section).

Well, now comes this weekend. I was out in Palm Springs already and just before midnight, decided to do it again. I have no idea why, other than stupidity. I packed up, grabbed some food and headed to the TH. The only thing that was different than the first time, and actually, quite nice, was doing the majority of this in the dark. Again, I took a quick snack break at flat rock and continued to the tram to meet with a friend that was coming up on the first tram. We had almost perfect timing and after waiting for a few minutes, she showed up on the first tram and we took off for the summit. We stopped a few times for pictures (this was her first time to the summit from the tram side), but otherwise, we hiked pretty much straight through to the summit, with a snack stop at Wellman's. We didn't see hardly anybody the entire way. At about 10,000 ft, we were finally caught by a group of woman who were also on the first tram. They past us, and again we didn't see anybody the rest of the way. We were the second group to arrive at the summit, and after taking the obligatory pictures at the summit plaque, we took a short lunch break, and headed back to the tram.

There was a little bit of snow between Round Valley and Wellman's and the entire north face of Folly Peak still had snow. Not deep, but completely covered.

Now, in front of all you readers, I vow not to do the C2C trail again, for at least 1 year. I think this trail is definately a "once-a-yearer", maybe twice a year, once in spring, once in fall, but thats it.

Lotta uphill to go:

Lil lizard:

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

EnFuego wrote:I wasn't too thrilled with the scenery on the lower portion of the C2C trail. I know it's a "desert" trail, but I normally look for more "scenery" on a trail. After the hike, I thought to myself that I wouldn't do this hike, but maybe once a year. Not because it was hard or anything, but I found it rather boring (the lower section).

Well, now comes this weekend. I was out in Palm Springs already and just before midnight, decided to do it again. I have no idea why, other than stupidity.
:shock: Dude, join a support group now before it's too late! :lol: :lol:
Liz

Post by Liz »

Wow EnFuego,

You refused to do this hike with me, and now you've done it back to back weekends. I must really intimidate you.

:evil:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:Wow EnFuego,
You refused to do this hike with me, and now you've done it back to back weekends. I must really intimidate you.
:evil:
Well, maybe just for the H&LL of it, I'll do it this weekend and next weekend until I see you on it. I doubt it though. I'll be in the Sierras on the 30th.

And yes, you intimidate me. You're quite scary. :shock: To hike with that is. :lol:
Liz

Post by Liz »

And yes, you intimidate me. You're quite scary. To hike with that is.

Silly boy!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

You wouldn't happen to have a GPS track for either of your trips would you?

Matt
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

2 weeks in a row? crazy! that's the sort of thing that will temporarily burn you out from hiking!

matt, I have coordinates from when i did it last fall:

http://socalhikes.com/2008/10/cactus-to ... ip-report/
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

wrote:2 weeks in a row? crazy! that's the sort of thing that will temporarily burn you out from hiking!

matt, I have coordinates from when i did it last fall:

http://socalhikes.com/2008/10/cactus-to ... ip-report/
Yeah - it burned me out, but luckily not from hiking, just Skyline for sure. Wasn't really the elevation gain or the mileadge, it's just long and quite boring. But, I know I'll do it again in the fall.

I read your TR on Socalhikes. Very nice TR and your use of maps and pictures makes for very good reading. Thanks.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice work on the C2C double feature. I've only done the full C2C once and a round trip on Skyline once. That's good enough for me. I have a new goal for myself, which is to explore more and not repeat the same route again.

I actually think Skyline is an interesting trail. It's unique because unlike most hike elevation trails, you get very clear views of the city as you go up. I know some people who want a wilderness experience won't like that, but I like it because it's like being in an airplane and looking down at stuff.