Noob gear

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Just got back yesterday from the season's first Noob Backpacking overnight to John's Meadow. Here is the noob gear:

Not too bad, actually. The weirdest, noobiest looking set-up belongs to a veteran backpacker who has a bad back, so his junk hangs down around his butt. Oddest arrangement I have ever seen, but it it works for him.

Woman on the left wasn't a noob, and that's a Gossamer pack.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. That's a pretty big pack for a weekend. Gossamer Gear usually caters to the ultralight crowd.

How the guy in the blue shirt's set up could work is beyond me, but, hey, different strokes for different folks.

None of these guys get the "all time champion" award. I think that goes to a gal whose backpack was one of the wheeled kind and had a BBQ strapped up on top of it. She was hiking in street shoes that vaguely looked like boots. :lol: It's a mad, mad world.
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

Where is that link to the crazy/stupid hiking outfits? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't locate it again... Need to save that to favorites for a good laugh now and then.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

dgrimreaper wrote:Where is that link to the crazy/stupid hiking outfits? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't locate it again... Need to save that to favorites for a good laugh now and then.
There you go: UNUSUAL HIKING ATTIRE

From the above linked thread, the All Time Champion Noob Gear Award winner:
That big black box is a BBQ. Taken at the Falling Sign Jct. on the way to Newcomb Pass. Going camping at Spruce Grove. By the way, note the handle. That's a roller backpack. :lol: Those ain't hiking boots; them's street shoes that kinda sort might be interpreted as looking "outdoorsy."