Travis' videos: how did he do them?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Most of you have probably seen Travis' videos here: http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/mountaineeringvideos

Some of them are pretty harrowing! On all or most of them he seems to have the camera attached to his body or to a helmet, since his hands are obviously free for scrambling. I am thinking of rigging something like that myself and was wondering what kinds of experiences Travis as well as other climbers have had with attaching the camera to your body. I mentioned it to my brother, who has attempted something like this while snowboarding, and he said the vibrations were simply awful. But on the other hand I believe his camera is older and doesn't have any anti-vibration technology.

If this is practical, I am thinking of having a few vests made that would accept a sort of aluminum bracket at the front for mounting a small camcorder you could use while walking and keeping your hands free.

Until now, I have been using a monopod with my camcorder:

Despite appearances, I don't use it as a walking stick. I never liked walking sticks. I just shorten it up and carry it around until I want to make a shot. Then I extend it and set it in the ground and it keeps the camera pretty steady. The camera is very light weight. I can also use the monopod to hold the camera while walking, gripping it in front of me with one hand like a baton. I think it makes the movement a lot smoother than if I was just gripping the camera by itself.

I have made two short videos so far:

On San Jacinto, it got so cold near the top I had to give the monopod to a friend to carry (it wouldn't fit in my pack) and stow the camera away, so when I wanted to tape something I had pull the camera out and use it without the monopod. That's one reason it's a lot more shakey in the San Jacinto vid. Now I carry gloves with me everywhere and I'm going to sew loops into my packs so I can just hang up the camera whenever I can't carry it anymore.

But I would also like to work out some kind of hands-free way to do this as well.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco

Post by Taco »

I had thought of using a helmet-mounted camera, one of the smaller tubular digital ones that links to a real camera in a pouch somewhere. I've since ditched that idea, so I'm interested as well. All my stuff is shakey. :lol:

From your video, your system sure looks stable.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Ok, I wanna know too! I'm even on one of those videos but I don't remember what he was using.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I think he just uses his hands, to be honest.

....c'mon, Travis... :lol:
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice videos simonov!

I recognized you from your picture.
Saw my sister and part of myself in that video on the tram up.
I asked you about your monopod, it was my 36th Birthday that day.

To answer your initial question, it's totally possible to board while holding a camera fairly steady ..

I also have a Viosport helmetcam, but the FOV is fixed.

Cheers!
:D
Taco

Post by Taco »

Ja Hans, zees musik makes me vahnt to dance...
simonov

Post by simonov »

He219 wrote:Nice videos simonov!

I recognized you from your picture.
Saw my sister and part of myself in that video on the tram up.
I asked you about your monopod, it was my 36th Birthday that day.
Heh, small world. I think you were the fellow who first suggested it looked like a walking stick. It was entirely experimental that day, my first day out in the mountains with it (I tried it once taping the SCTA land speed trials at El Mirage and decided a tripod worked better for that). As I read this thread I am beginning to think it's a pretty good solution after all; I just need to work out a way to easily stow it when I'm not actually filming.

In other small world news, when I uploaded my San Jacinto video and looked at the "Related Videos" to the right in YouTube, this was the second or third video in the list. This guy was up there filming the same day we were, though he must have summited a lot earlier or later than we did as there's no one else at the top with him.

I don't remember seeing very many people on the trail up that day (aside from my party of eleven).

I also saw your video of the hiker rescue. It was obviously a day for video on San Jacinto.
Nunc est bibendum
He219

Post by He219 »

There's a good site for video setups called Helmetcameracentral.com
Tons of setups for video on the fly ..
Travis

Post by Travis »

simonov wrote:Most of you have probably seen Travis' videos here: http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/mountaineeringvideos

Some of them are pretty harrowing! On all or most of them he seems to have the camera attached to his body or to a helmet, since his hands are obviously free for scrambling. I am thinking of rigging something like that myself and was wondering what kinds of experiences Travis as well as other climbers have had with attaching the camera to your body. I mentioned it to my brother, who has attempted something like this while snowboarding, and he said the vibrations were simply awful. But on the other hand I believe his camera is older and doesn't have any anti-vibration technology
Sorry for my slow reply, been busy. Anyway I apprecaite your praise regarding my videos, but there is nothing fancy with regards to mounting the camera to my body. In all but one video (Rodgers Peak) I am holding the camera with one hand and scrambling one handed. If you look at the Dragon Peak video where I traverse the narrow ledge to the summit, this was a little challenging one handed. After this hike I did devise a little pouch that allowed me to strap the camera to the chest strap of my backpack, but the shaking from walking makes for a poor video and I have not used it since.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Rick Kent wrote:Ok, I wanna know too! I'm even on one of those videos but I don't remember what he was using.
This video of Rodgers is the one time I used my chest mounted pouch to hold my digital camera while recording the video. The pouch was very simple, I found a black, zippered pouch used to stow my cordless mouse for my laptop. It was the perfect size to fit my camera. I cut a round hole in it to allow the camera lens to telescope out and attached a strap to the back to thread the chest strap through on my pack.
simonov

Post by simonov »

He219 wrote:There's a good site for video setups called Helmetcameracentral.com
Tons of setups for video on the fly ..
Thanks. This one looks perfect, except it doesn't work with my camcorder.

:x
Nunc est bibendum