Bare Mountain: 04-12-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Bare Mountain on a brilliantly clear morning. Had some frost on the ground early and a nice breeze kept it cool the entire hike.

Parked just past the gated entrance to Sulphur Spring Campground (closed) and ascended via the roller coaster ridge route that starts just off the Pacific Crest Trail (HPS route #1) and returned via the south ridge through Pinyon Flats (HPS route #2). An enjoyable loop.

Access to the parking area is via Sulphur Springs road which leaves Angeles Crest Highway at Three Points. This road winds its way past a couple of private camps, Bandido Group Campground (closed), Horse Flats Campground (open), Rosenita Saddle (park here for a quick jaunt to Mt. Hillyer), Alder Saddle (road to Pacifico is closed) to Pinyon Flats where you can't go any further due to a closed gate.

The peak offers a 360 degree panoramic view and today, with the clear skies, several Sierra peaks were clearly visible (although my camera didn't pick them up very well if at all). On my descent I ran into Mars Bonfire who was leading a small group of Sierra Club'ers up route #1. He had signed the peak register only 3 days earlier! Nice to meet you Mars!

Pics.

Pleasant View Ridge is quite striking from this vantage...

Google Earth view of the route (red=ascent, blue=descent)...
Click to see full size image
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Alright. What's the deal with this sign? Posted on chain link fence behind closed gate at Pinyon Flats.

Area 52, Detachment 3 (DET 3), Air Force Flight Test Center (AFFTC)

I thought Area 52 was next to Area 51 in Nevada.

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Nice pics, looked like a nice day.

What was the total mileage for that loop?

Did you happen to notice if there would be any feasible way to ascend Winston ridge from the west?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wrote:What was the total mileage for that loop?

Did you happen to notice if there would be any feasible way to ascend Winston ridge from the west?
Loop was about 5.5 miles and 2200' total gain round trip.

Pictures 25 and 38 in my Flickr set are good views of Winston Ridge and Winston Peak. In my mind, the most feasible approach to Winston Ridge is shown on this ACME map.

Leave road at point A and go up the drainage (B thru E) to the ridge (F thru J) that curves up towards Winston Ridge at K. Walk up to to the high point at point M. (N marks the parking area for Bare Mtn. routes). Maybe do a car-to-car shuttle and exit Winston Ridge via Winston Peak to Cloudburst Summit. :D