Mt. Baldy Trip Report, 03/26/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
calicokat

Post by calicokat »

I wanted to climb Baldy in the snow before it all melted or became too patchy. So, I decided to give it a try solo on Thursday March 26th. I started up from Manker Flats at 0800. Did not need crampons until just past the Ski Hut at the base of the bowl. I took the west bowl route up just inside the tree line. The snow was perfect, just hard enough to grip with the crampons, but not too icy or too soft. I left the crampons on all the way to the summit and back to the hut. The weather was perfect, 50 degrees and light wind. I only saw one gentleman the entire day. The views along the route and especially on top were superb. Coming down was great fun. The snow had softened up a little which made plunge stepping a lot of fun and a very effective way down. Hope you enjoy the pictures. It was a great trip.

Baldy Bowl

Going Up

San Gorgonio In The Distance

Summit

Gorgonio and San Jacinto From The Summit

West Baldy

Cucamonga, Bighorn and Ontario

Post by 406 »

thanks for the tr. looks like a fun day.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Good to see that there's still a ton of snow!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

not for long! :twisted:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

wrote:not for long! :twisted:
LIES.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

By the way great pictures and TR, I was so busy at work I forgot to say that part first, my bad - :cry:

Anyone willing to help me take some of the "Snow Blowers" (temporarily move them) from the Ski Resort Area and place them just over the edge of the Baldy Bowl so we can extend "Snow Conditions" slightly longer?

That way we can have snow longer?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
norma r

Post by norma r »

lilbitmo wrote:Anyone willing to help me take some of the "Snow Blowers" (temporarily move them) from the Ski Resort Area and place them just over the edge of the Baldy Bowl so we can extend "Snow Conditions" slightly longer?
Mo,
Dave G told me he hiked with 5 gals on his back last weekend. i thought he meant "women" but he said he meant water. either way, he might be interested in helping with the relocation! :wink:

Calico,
Thanx for the TR, great pix with awesome quality. just sad to see how little snow is on the bowl.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Calico - nice pictures and TR. Glad you made it up. Snow looks like it's leaving us fast. What are we to do next month?

norma r wrote: Mo,
Dave G told me he hiked with 5 gals on his back last weekend. i thought he meant "women" but he said he meant water.
Dang, I was ready to PM him and ask if he had another 5 gals (women) fo rmy pack. :lol:
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Mo,
Dave G told me he hiked with 5 gals on his back last weekend.
I'll never forget the vision we had, kicking back on the summit of Mt. Baldy, when all of a sudden, coming up from the back bone trail ---- here comes this fairly hefty guy [ok, i'll say it, he was fat] ----- carrying his 4 year old kid on his back :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't know how long he'd been lugging his junior but he looked BEAT!!

We sorta joked about how outta shape he was.... but then again, maybe the joke was on us, afterall, he was in good enough shape to take more steps than we would have with a kid on our back!

It was one of the strangest hiking scenes I can remember...
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

btw CalicoKat.... the snow may be rapidly melting but this photo you took is now my desktop background.... this snow will live on this way :lol: :lol: Thanks!!