2 more city boy questions: Baldy & San Jacinto

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

1) Has there ever been a year where there has been snow on top of Baldy year round? A decent sized patch even.....?

2) Is it possible for you dare devils :P to go up the north face of Jacinto when there is no snow to climb on, or do you always need snow?

Just curious...... again. :roll:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

1) Has there ever been a year where there has been snow on top of Baldy year round? A decent sized patch even.....?

2) Is it possible for you dare devils to go up the north face of Jacinto when there is no snow to climb on, or do you always need snow?
In the winter of 2004 to 2005 the snow was enough to keep big patches on the Northside of Baldy between that and Harwood covered in spots until late August - San Gorgonio was covered until late September in that same summer/fall following the big winter - that's that is the closest "Winter to Winter" coverage that I know of.

I have read some posts of folks going up the Snow Creek trail to the summit in spring and fall - you could look for that topic on the San J blog. The PCT is about 1,000 below the summit and stays to the west of the summit and it leads all the way down to the 10 Freeway on the west shoulder of Newton Drury and in that area it's called Fuler Ridge.
LD

Post by LD »

Hi Outwhere,

Here's a link of someone climbing Snowcreek in the summer.
http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~hollin/inde ... ruise.html

His map is a little bit off but he mentions that in the article. Just be sure to watch out for rattlers. Sure to be in force that time of the year.

Funny you should ask about this. I was planning on taking a friend up there this summer. (He doesn't do the snow thing but strong hiker)
If you're interested I'll keep you in the loop.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Tonks for the info... so any tip top or front face snow on Baldy just probably aint gonna ever happen... :cry:

ok, LD, so it can be done in the non-winter months then, Yikes!.... and very nice offer from you, but I am a long long [x20] way from going north face jacinto. Hell, I might need a hand getting onto the tram... I'll look at your TR pics and pretend I was there.... :oops:

Lilbitmo, my friend still can't believe the PCT cuts through the Snow Creek area...... and I'm not far behind him :?

That face just looks big and mean when we are passing thru the pass in the air conditioned car, sipping grape juice...