Middle Fork Trail (Lytle Creek)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey all you SGM Trail Builder types out there (you know who you are) :) any chance of getting some maintenance on the trail that goes up the middle fork of Lytle Creek (I think it's the middle fork -- it's the one that goes to Icehouse Saddle from the east)? It's a great trail and generally in good shape, but there are two serious washouts between 3rd Crossing and Comanche. The washouts are on slopes where a slip could mean serious injury or death.

HJ
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Anyone know if water is available at any Middle Fork Trail camps? Also, does anyone know trail and snow conditions from Icehouse Saddle to Ontario and Cucamonga Peaks. Crampons? :D
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

the water is most reliable this time of year.

crampons would be usefull at 8,200
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Did you ever talk to Bron?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Water is pretty reliable at all three trail camps year-round. I think Comanche is the nicest in terms of greenery and the farthest away from crowds. There are a couple of washouts that dissuade the scouts and such from going all the way up to Comanche. A good hiker can get around them without inordinate difficulty although they'd be a major bummer if you slipped.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool! That's a really worthy area. If my knee ever really heals up, I'd love to get back up there again.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

What?! I have swine flu!! :shock:

How on earth did I ever get that??!

tarol

Post by tarol »

Anybody been up this trail recently? Question about where the snow/ice starts, I assume it's above 3rd Stream but anybody know anything concrete?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Careful on that trail above 3rd stream crossing. There were some really steep slide areas where the trail was 100% washed out that I encountered the last time I was up there, about 2 or 3 years ago. It was OK but not great to scramble around them (unless you're afraid of heights like my buddy, Jared), but I did it in October before any snow had fallen. Unless someone has repaired the trail relatively recently, I would think twice before heading up there when the trail is icy.

HJ
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

FROM ice house sadlle u would need crampoons and ice axe
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

edenooch wrote:FROM ice house sadlle u would need crampoons and ice axe
Hi, Eric, where does the snow start in Icehouse Canyon? Around the switchbacks east of Telegraph wash?

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HJ is alive!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Anyone know the conditions of the trail up towards three stream crossing campground? I know the rain tore some of the lower sections up this past winter and am wondering if anyone has been up there.
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

The trail was in good shape about a month ago. There were three small washouts after the Cucamonga Wilderness boundry.
HikeCA

Post by HikeCA »

My fiancée and I took a hike up the Middle Fork Trail yesterday, with the intention of reaching Third Stream Crossing before heading back to our vehicle. We're recent transplants to Southern California and it was our first trip to this area so I did some online research and also read the description of the trail in one of our many hiking books before starting out. Based on our experience yesterday, we either got sidetracked and got off the trail or I relied too heavily on my apparently outdated book that instructed us to continue up the trail beyond the campground. I would like to believe the latter.
Everything was going well until we got beyond Stonehouse Campground. The trail followed the south side of the creek but gradually became harder to follow and then ended abruptly at a large pool. I looked around and determined the only conceivable place for the trail to continue was on the opposite (north) side of the stream. The problem with my theory was that the whole area was covered with dense vegetation and apparently impassable, unless one came equipped with a sickle!
After this disappointing finding, we decided to enjoy the beauty and tranquility in the canyon bottom before heading back to our vehicle. When we returned to the junction at the saddle, we considered going up the main trail to our original destination but decided to save it for another day. When we returned to the trailhead, we studied the map on the sign and it showed what appeared to be the very trail that had fizzled out along the stream. Perhaps the sign is outdated, as well? Is anyone familiar with the 'trail' that leads up the canyon from Stonehouse Campground?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

When you head west from the parking lot you hit a fork in the trail.

The left fork goes downhill to the Stone House Crossing campground.

The right fork (main trail) stays north of the creek and heads west to Third Stream and beyond.

If you took the left fork you eventually cross to the south side of the creek as you go through the Stone House camp, and as you found out, it peeters out in a jungle of stinging nettle and other stuff - impassable. The maps all show it continuing on to eventually meet up with the main trail but it doesn't do that any more.

If you had taken the right fork (main trail) you stay north of the creek and continue on as far as you want. Just before you would have hit the wilderness boundary you may actually notice a side trail on your left that heads back east/southeast down towards the creek - this is where maps show the trail through Stone House re-connecting with the main trail. In fact you can follow it almost all the way back to a point directly across the stream from where you "deadended" on the south side.

So basically the trail shown going through Stone House is interuppted by an overgrown "swamp" of impassable brush. The trail shown north of the creek is the main trail that should get you to points west.

That took way too many words to describe. :D
Sean

Post by Sean »

Very thorough reply, Hike Up. It felt like I was actually walking the trail myself.

I think it's worth going to Commanche Camp if you have the time. It's peaceful and lush, very pretty in autumn with the changing leaves. From Third Stream you cross the creek, head up and left on the slightly faint, debris-covered path, then find the trail ascending and switchbacking southward to the upper part of the canyon as it bends toward Cucamonga Peak.
HikeCA

Post by HikeCA »

HikeUp, Your informative response is most appreciated. It completely solved the mystery and put my mind at ease. :)

Sean, we're going to follow your suggestion and come back in the fall and make Comanche our destination. The combination of cooler temperatures and fall foliage could very well turn a nice hike into a remarkable one.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Perfect timing, I have been wondering...

Does anyone know if there is water running at Comanche Camp this time of year? Wanting to do Cucamonga/Etiwanda without going up the Icehouse Canyon 'Highway'. Thinking return trip filtering would alleviate some weight. Never been up the Middle Fork trail though, looking forward to some uphill hiking.

HikeUp & Sean always have such good info, thanks guys.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean (or Hikin Jim, or Elwood or whoever else I can't think of right now who has been on this trail before) is gonna have to answer the water question. I've only been in the area in spring (March thru June) so there was always water.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

http://cucamongawilderness.org/camping/

"•Stonehouse Camp: Water flow Very GOOD (Updated: 7/27/2013)
•Third Stream Crossing / Camp: Water flow MODERATE (updated: 7/27/2013)
•Commanche Camp: Water flow Very LOW, bring water, not recommneded for filtering/re-supply (Updated: 7/27/2013)"
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Thank yous all around folks. Good info to know. Saving that link as well, hadn't come across that page. Planning accordingly.
Sean

Post by Sean »

JDB22 wrote: Thinking return trip filtering would alleviate some weight.
Probably dry at Commanche. But you could grab water at Third Stream and stash a liter or two right before Icehouse Saddle. Hardly anyone goes down the trail, so it's unlikely people will find/steal it.

Also, the beginning and ending stretches of Middle Fork are exposed and can get pretty hot this time of year.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Thanks again AW for the link, many of your posts on the forum have been helpful in the past.

Great advice Sean. Probably stash some off trail below the saddle. It has been warming up all week, kind of expecting a hot one. Thanks for the heads up on the exposed sections.
HikeEnthusiast55

Post by HikeEnthusiast55 »

So,

Is walking from Icehouse Canyon to Lytle Creek without equipment possible?

Thanks
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Equipment? You mean like a "snow plow" attachment to clear the pine cones off the trail or flame thrower or clothes and shoes?
HikeEnthusiast55

HikeUp wrote: Equipment? You mean like a "snow plow" attachment to clear the pine cones off the trail or flame thrower or clothes and shoes?
i mean i don't have to take like ropes or... you know....

is it hikable down easily without dying/getting stuck, etc?

is there snow right now there in the middle of summer
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Nope, it's a regular trail. But, you should take a pack with ten essentials, etc. no?
HikeEnthusiast55

Mike P wrote: Nope, it's a regular trail. But, you should take a pack with ten essentials, etc. no?
I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but which 10 essentials do you refer to?
fortified

Post by fortified »

I go trail running four days a week, and I don't know what the ...lets say Pack-ten are. Running/hiking after sunset, two light sources ...just in case, and a ski pole pointed back away from your neck for that one in a million chance for a lion..... cell phone to pretend I can get service anywhere, and time myself.