Baily Canyon Loop, Jones Peak (3375')

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, a wimpy hike for most of you folks, but I did the "Bailey Canyon Loop" with a short side trip to Jones Peak (3375') today. I'm still re-habbing my knee. It did reasonably well, although I can tell it's not back to 100%. Coming down Bailey Canyon from Jones Peak, I could definitely feel the pressure on my injured knee.

All on trail, no special conditions to report other than that it was a beautiful, cool day, perfect for hiking. One note: On the Mt. Wilson trail, the junction with the trail to climb up to Jones Peak is unsigned, but fairly obvious.

Interestingly, the views were better at the junction of the trail going up to Hastings Peak than they were from the rather flat summit of Jones Peak. Were the peak more apical, it would have some really commanding views of the surrounding area to the E, S, and W.

Next time, I'd like to try the "Hastings Peak Loop" which is a bit bigger version of the loop I did today.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Hey Jim:
What time were you up there? I went up there today and was probably there about 8:00 AM. I came up from the Mt. Wilson trail side and then continued up the ridge.
Glad to hear you are out and about on the trails again. That's the main thing: To be out there getting in some miles. Take your time and build up slowly and you'll be 100 percent before you know it!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Rmember the little girl watching the TV in "Poltergist" - she said, "Their Here, their Back"

Well, "Jim's Here, Jim's Back" :shock:

All kidding aside, glad to see you got out, I too have been down for a month with a bad knee - don't know if it's the ACL or Miniscus? Cannot afford the cost of getting it scoped so I'm rehabing it myself.

Good to have you on your feet again, it will give me something to shoot for.

Thanks for posting. :D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

lilbitmo wrote:All kidding aside, glad to see you got out, I too have been down for a month with a bad knee - don't know if it's the ACL or Miniscus? Cannot afford the cost of getting it scoped so I'm rehabing it myself.
It's all in your mind. Bring your knee over here, I'll fix it for ya. Image
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Coming down Bailey Canyon from Jones Peak, I could definitely feel the pressure on my injured knee.
Coming down Bailey Cyn from Jones is indeed a good test of the ol' knees. It's a pretty relentless 700' per mile drop for about 3+ miles. Good job HJ's knees :lol: !!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lik2hik wrote:Hey Jim:
What time were you up there? I went up there today and was probably there about 8:00 AM. I came up from the Mt. Wilson trail side and then continued up the ridge.
Glad to hear you are out and about on the trails again. That's the main thing: To be out there getting in some miles. Take your time and build up slowly and you'll be 100 percent before you know it!
I started on the Mt. Wilson side about 7:20 AM this morning (after dropping a car at about 7:15 AM at Bailey Canyon). I was with 3 other guys. I was the gimpy one. :)

What were you wearing? We saw one person coming down from the saddle by Jones Peak toward the Mt. Wilson trail, but I don't recall anyone else. We saw several groups after we got up on top of the ridge.
lilbitmo wrote:Rmember the little girl watching the TV in "Poltergist" - she said, "Their Here, their Back"

Well, "Jim's Here, Jim's Back" :shock:

All kidding aside, glad to see you got out...
Thanks, bro. Believe me, it's a pleasure to be out. I did Trail Canyon last week, Monrovia Canyon the week before that, and JPL/Arroyo Seco the week before that. This week was the first one with any real gain. My legs were sucking it up, but they worked. :) It kind of sucks to struggle on a hike you would have thought was easy a few months ago.
lilbitmo wrote:...I too have been down for a month with a bad knee - don't know if it's the ACL or Miniscus? Cannot afford the cost of getting it scoped so I'm rehabing it myself.
I remember seeing you post that. Take care of it bro. Heal well.
HikeUp wrote:Coming down Bailey Cyn from Jones is indeed a good test of the ol' knees. It's a pretty relentless 700' per mile drop for about 3+ miles. Good job HJ's knees :lol: !!!
Oh, you mean it's actually steep. :) I was beginning to think I was just a total wimp.

Yeah, after I came upon the first real view after leaving the saddle by Jones Peak, I was struck by how steep Bailey Canyon is. The Passionist Fathers retreat center looks so close, but it's nearly 3000' below. Fortunately, it's a pretty well laid out trail. Kind of a well kept secret compared to the Mt. Wilson "Freeway." Interestingly, the connector trail is not marked. Actually maybe no marking is a marking -- "locals only." :)

It's a pretty steep drop from the saddle by Jones Peak to the Mt. W. Trail. The first time I did it, there was no connector. Today, I found myself saying in my mind, "what was I thinking?" Of course, that was before my accident when I still had two whole legs.

Neat area with a lot of options. We are so blessed here because of the "Great Hiking Era" -- even though it was about 100 years ago.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job Jim. hope the knees heel up fast.

the connector trail is not indicated from the Mt Wilson trail, but there usually is a sign on the other end. Was that still there?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:nice job Jim. hope the knees heel up fast.

the connector trail is not indicated from the Mt Wilson trail, but there usually is a sign on the other end. Was that still there?
Yes, the sign on Hastings - Jones ridge (for lack of a better name) is still there. It's two pieces of plexiglass like material with a sheet of paper sandwiched in between.

How was the Baldora?