Barley Flats: 02-28-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Barley Flats today. Started at Alder Creek and took the Barley Flats Trail. Approximately 8 miles round trip with a total cumulative gain of about 2400'. Snow started about 4500' and above about 5200' it was patchy yet unavoidable. The snow was soft and did not support my weight so post holing was typical. My trail runners and socks were soaked :D

The best part of this hike is the views you have from the trail, the worst part of this trip is the summit. Something about a huge metal water tank in the middle of a forested hump is uninspiring. Despite being constantly in need of brush clearing, the trail is a good one, offering shaded stretches mixed with sweeping views from ridge lines.

Put my loppers to use on the ascent in order to make some badly needed head room through the overgrown sections. The main problem is the whitethorn that encroaches the trail's airspace, forming ever shrinking tunnels.

A helicopter landed for a brief moment at the helipad at the east end of the flats just as I was summiting around 9:45a. I heard it again about 10:45 as I was already making my way back down.

High country...

Vetter Lookout...

Strawberry Peak...

Was hoping to run into Ze and his fellow hikers, but I must have been ahead of them. Fun day! More pics.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

heh, I thought the water tower was cool. Good place for views and too eat lunch.

did you lurk around Alder creek at all? we followed up it only for a little bit, looks like fun to explore.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I saw your videos and pics of the frolicking on top of the water tank! Much better views from up there! Sorry to have missed you guys. I really enjoyed the hike - would be a real bitch in the summer though.

I'd be interested in hiking up Alder Creek to Loomis - it does look interesting.
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

re: Helicopters and Barley Flats....

Barley is the LASD's mountain base for Air-5, the large Sikorsky helicopter that plays a prominent role in so many of the SAR and EMS operations in the San Gabriels.

Staging at Barley gives them a short ETA to incidents almost anywhere in the range.