02-07-09 Camaraderie on Old Greyback (a narrative)

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Yoskolo (Alex), Zach (Zach), and myself (David) had been tossing around the idea of attacking one of our local peaks during rigorous conditions, to test both our physical and mental fortitude. After tossing around several ideas, peaks, and routes, we finally decided late this past Wednesday on San Gorgonio. With weather forecasts predicting heavy snow, wind and temps as low as 10 degrees, we thought there was not a better place to test our gear, abilities and skills other than on the slopes of Old Greyback.

We rallied at my house Friday evening to sort through our gear and split up communal items amongst our packs. During a medium, yet persistent rain, we loaded our packs into the truck, and with smiles on our faces, and excitement in our gut, we headed for the highest mountain range in Southern California.

After driving through constant rain, we arrived at the South Fork trailhead (1E04) shortly before 9:00pm to medium snow fall and standing temperature around 24 degrees. We quickly put on our boots and gaiters, donned our packs and headed into the darkness. With 3-4 inches of fresh powder under our boots, light to no winds, yet at times heavy snowfall, we excitedly trudged our way up the South Fork trail, bypassing Poopout Hill by staying right (west) and regaining the South Fork trail and onto South Fork Meadows. Somewhere on the trail, we escaped the heavy snowfall and took a quick break inside the cabin at Horse Meadows. We kept our break to 7-8 minutes and quickly reshouldered our packs and headed off once again into the white night. We soon arrived at the fork to Dry Lake (1E05) and somewhere near here, Zach lead us cross country up the creek drainage to Dry Lake. We soon found ourselves post holing, at times up to our waist, but between Zach and Alex, we continued at a pretty good rate. Soon to everybody’s relief, we reach Dry Lake. Zach lead us across the lake to a sheltered area to make camp. It’s still snowing hard, so we quickly shoveled a platform, set up the tent, unpacked important gear, clothes and food from the packs, shoved them all in the tent and packed ourselves inside. It was after 2:00am and about 11 degrees. We needed to get warm, hydrated and some food in our bodies, so Alex quickly got to boiling some water in the tents rear vestibule, I got our dinners ready (or was it breakfast) and started opening snacks. After getting some liquid in our bodies and snacking on some chocolate covered cherries, Zach quickly passed out. Alex and I stayed up a little longer boiling some water for the following day and finishing our dinner. It was almost 4:00am when Alex and I finally got to sleep.

It snowed non-stop through the night. I woke up about 5:30am to 14 degrees and 6-8 inches of fresh powder since we made camp a couple hours earlier. In total, we were looking at 12-20 inches fresh snow since we left the trailhead eight and a half hours earlier. I dug the tent out a little, placed some fresh snow in the rear vestibule for cooking, rescued our packs from deep snow cover and made my way back inside for some warmth. Soon, Alex and Zach were waking from there fitful sleep, and with much excitement, we were looking forward to a great morning on the slopes of San Gorgonio.

As quickly as we could, we boiled more water, had some breakfast, stripped our packs down to the minimal gear for a quick summit push. We crossed Dry Lake, leaving fresh tracks and quickly saw our prize. There was a beautiful couloir coming straight down the north face, with a slight westerly bend near the bottom, which would be our prize. We trekked crossed country up a couple ravines and ridgelines on a direct track towards the base of the couloir. We’re post holing the entire time in the fresh snow, and within a mile or so, I’m starting to feel severe pain near my groin where the left femur joins the pelvis. I had the pain for the last 2 miles or so the previous night to an almost “crippling” point. I hike a bit further and near the base of the couloir, I inform Alex and Zach that it wouldn’t be prudent for me to push on, as I’m 100% sure the most I can do is maybe halfway up the couloir, and we’re still looking at an 11 mile hike out in 14-18 inches fresh powder. Everyone agrees it would be beneficial for me to save my leg for the hike out while Alex and Zach push on to the summit. I bid them good luck and turn back to camp to clean up, get lunch ready upon their return and fill bottles with fresh water.

Over three hours later, I see Alex and Zach returning from their summit attempt and go to greet them, only to see gloom in their eyes. They sadly inform me they were turned around, about 200 feet from the summit, due to bad weather and white out conditions. I congratulate them none the less for their valiant effort and we proceed to eat some food and finish breaking down camp.

We reload our packs and as we begin our trek out, the clouds part for a few minutes, the sun shines brightly, the winds die down completely, and with a bit of mockery, Old Greyback prods us to attempt his flanks once again. We wave goodbye to the S.O.B., and with tired and sore bodies, we begin the journey out. Less than halfway out, the snow starts falling again and we three are completely spent; legs sore, and backs aching. Every half mile, we feel like we just walked 2. Time is moving agonizingly slow. The cold in our bodies and the fatigue in our legs are almost enough that we are ready to sleep in our tracks. Temps are hovering around 22 degrees and the snow is falling heavy now. We know we only got a couple more miles to go. With heads down, and an eagerness to get to our vehicle and down the mountain, we push on.

We finally reach our vehicle. After 22 hours of hiking, post holing and climbing in the snow, and a few hours sleep thrown in, we are happy to end this feat. Alex quickly digs out the truck, and we quickly throw our packs in and head down the mountain with the heater on full blast and the tales of adventure already starting amongst us.

Summit or no summit, this will remain at the top of my list of most memorable trips. Alex and Zach are great cohorts and I don’t know if I could have pick better companions to share a tent and a mountain with.

9:00pm, Febraury 06, 2009

The Players:

Heading in:

The cabin:

The assault packs:

Making our way:

Still feeling good (???):

Making progress:

The last fork, next stop "CAMP":

Our fresh tracks:

Zach first to arrive at camp:

Checking on the water before bed:

Zach out for the count:

Alex still in good spirits:

David in good spirits:

Packs had a cold night:

Tent at 5:30am:

Getting motivated (snow piled up on rear vestibule wall):

Alex making his (oh so good) miso beach mushroom soup:

Ooops! Who put that there:

Dry Lake with 12" or so fresh powder:

Jepson Peak:

Little Charleston and Charleston Peak:

Heading across Dry Lake:

Leaving fresh tracks:

Alex and Zach with route in background (cener left couoir):

David and Alex:

Zach on the couloir:

Not too much further:

Alex breaking trail to the top:

Ready to leave camp:

Our tracks from beyond (Jepson in background):

Skies clear, and Old Greyback beckons us to return:

Finally!!!!

~EnFuego
yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

We'll be back. We have a score to settle! Maybe next time we give the snow a chance to consolidate too...
I think Zach and I both feel sort of dumb about not summiting. The weather that showed every sign of whiting out our retreat actually dissolved during our descent. And we could have placed wands or something to guard against that possibility.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Inspirational trip! :mrgreen:
Awsome TR. 8)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice TR. Nice work Alex, Zach and David. :D

Glad to hear that you all had a great time. Sorry to hear that the summit was just beyond reach. Surprised that no brought "Snow Shoes"?

That is the same chute/coulier that Bryan and I went up last winter late season, more rocks were showing then.

The post holing is fun for about 10 minutes then it's a pain in the arse.

Send me the exact location on a map of that cabin, all the time I've been going up there I've never run across it.

Great pictures - wish I had come - Softball Tournament was cancelled.

It's now time to hit some more snow covered slopes.

Talk at you tomorrow.

Lilbitmo :D :D :D :D :D :D
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Bill wrote:Inspirational trip! :mrgreen:
Awsome TR. 8)
What Bill said. :D
Zach

Post by Zach »

I just wrote this big long post, went to switch tabs and closed everything.

short version
yoskolo wrote:We'll be back. We have a score to settle! Maybe next time we give the snow a chance to consolidate too...
I think Zach and I both feel sort of dumb about not summiting. The weather that showed every sign of whiting out our retreat actually dissolved during our descent. And we could have placed wands or something to guard against that possibility.
We shall return!

Should have brought snowshoes. Life would have been easier.

Props to David for setting everything up and for the delicious eatage.

Props to Alex, he did most of the work in the couloir.

Round 2 will have no 8mm rope, no harness or pickets.
yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

Yeah totally. And if the conditions are pretty good, I think we could do it in a day. Get there early, hike in by headlamp. Summit the col and head back down. It would be pretty epic, but not too bad I think.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

yoskolo wrote:Yeah totally. And if the conditions are pretty good, I think we could do it in a day. Get there early, hike in by headlamp. Summit the col and head back down. It would be pretty epic, but not too bad I think.
Yes, it would be epic if we went in on same trail, summited and returned same day. It's like 20+ miles RT I think.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

You can do it, it's around 19 miles but I would bring the snow shoes.

You should go back this coming weekend and get it out of the way before it starts bugging all of you.

You could go up the front side and come down the backside - two cars would be needed.

You could throw Dobbs Peak in as well.

:D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

lilbitmo wrote:You could go up the front side and come down the backside - two cars would be needed.

You could throw Dobbs Peak in as well.

:D
Oh no!!!! Another death march? Image
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's only a Death March if you don't come out the other side.

I would have to say what you did this weekend almost qualifies for a "Death March" but props to you guys for sticking it out in that weather and those conditions. Most would have waited out the storm to try to reach the ridge line and summit.

Good for you to realize that your "Muscle Pull" was going to make it impossible to summit and would have been a burden to the other hikers.

You need to get that looked at or worked out before the real "Death March". I'm still having problems with the MCL, it's more tender now than it was a week ago.

I might have to drop in on the Doc this week to have it looked at.

I'm dying to get back out there.

By the way, who ended up being the Oreo Cookie? The center that is?

:lol:
Zach

Post by Zach »

Oreo Cookie? That would be David.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Nice TR. You guy are crazy!!! Snowshoes definitely would have saved you some suffering. :D That cabin is at Horse Meadows not South Fork. How was it driving Jenks lake road out??? I imagine it wasn't plowed???
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:Oreo Cookie? That would be David.
HAHA! Reverse Oreo.
hvydrt wrote:Nice TR. You guy are crazy!!! Snowshoes definitely would have saved you some suffering. :D That cabin is at Horse Meadows not South Fork. How was it driving Jenks lake road out??? I imagine it wasn't plowed???
We discussed snowshoes, but only Zach had a pair, and both Alex and I thought the snowshoes would only be needed on the hike out. we thought the worse would be less than 4" of fresh snow on the way in. I believe Jenks Road was plowed. There was very little snow on it.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Great job, boys! Now I'm really looking forward to our death march. I felt pretty strong last year, but this year I want to get even stronger. Sounds like I'm "meeting" the right people with whom I can do this. I've been atop old Greyback several times, but have never attempted it in winter conditions. Maybe someday...
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

awesome TR and effort

back when i used to ski -pack, i'd park on a friday nite, ski up to the top of poopout hill and bivy.

ski to dry lake and snarf powder all afternoon. bivy again, and snarf mo pow in the b4 heading down.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I'm up for a daytrip. 8)

Great TR guys! Postholing sucks without alcohol!

Surprised that Mitsubishi started up with all that snow on top... :twisted:
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR, thanks!

I'll split it up high if anyone's up for joining us next week ..
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

Wow - Its amazing that anyone would subject themselves to this kind of
challenge and get that high without snow shoes. Your pictures were excellent. I bet there were no rangers out checking for permits.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy David,

Thanks for the wonderful trip report and pictures -- you guys are nuts!!!

Went to Miller Peak in the San Jacintos last Saturday with Lance. Snow shoes made life much easier.

Can't wait to get back out there this weekend.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Post by 406 »

Nice work guys.
But I have to ask:
You know that shit can slide, right?
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Cool pics, It's hard to believe that you guys were able to nearly make it to the top in those conditions without snowshoes.......all I can say is wow!!!! Also by the way I like your stove 8)
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

I agree. Making it that far without snowshoes is impressive. Definitely some determination there.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Sewellymon wrote:when i used to ski -pack, i'd park on a friday nite, ski up to the top of poopout hill and bivy. ski to dry lake and snarf powder all afternoon. bivy again, and snarf mo pow in the b4 heading down.
Sewellymon - I would so love to pack my snowboard to the top and snarf some fresh powder. How awesome would that be? On 18-24 inches fresh powder!!!!

Cy Kaicener wrote:Wow - Its amazing that anyone would subject themselves to this kind of
challenge and get that high without snow shoes. Your pictures were excellent. I bet there were no rangers out checking for permits.
Cy - No ranger. No nothing - just pure white bliss!!!

Ellen wrote:Howdy David,

Thanks for the wonderful trip report and pictures -- you guys are nuts!!!
Went to Miller Peak in the San Jacintos last Saturday with Lance. Snow shoes made life much easier.
Can't wait to get back out there this weekend.
Ellen - good to hear form you again. This weekend should be jsut as beautiful as last weekend. Enjoy yourself up there. I can't wait till I can get up to San J soon.

406 wrote:Nice work guys.
But I have to ask:
You know that shit can slide, right?
406 - Yeah we know. But surfing some fresh powder 1000' down slope seemed kind of fun at the time.

brian90620 wrote:Cool pics, It's hard to believe that you guys were able to nearly make it to the top in those conditions without snowshoes.......all I can say is wow!!!! Also by the way I like your stove 8)
Brian - the stove didn't quite work as nicely as I hoped. The temps when we made camp and boiled water was about 11 degrees. In the morning when we boiled again, the temps were about slightly higher. In both cases, it took us nearly an hour to boil 3 liters of water.

Rick Kent wrote:I agree. Making it that far without snowshoes is impressive. Definitely some determination there.
Rick - Snowshoes definately would have been nice up there, but honestly, 80% of the time, we were only postholing shin to knee deep. It really wasn't all that bad. I just think 22 hours of moving, and being awake for nearly 37 hours with less than 3 hours sleep is what deprived us of most of our energy. But yeah, we had determination and then some.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

EnFuego wrote:

Heading in:

~EnFuego
Great trip report guys.
Winter camping newbie has to ask, what are the outboard metal looking things on this pack? I recognize the axe and shovel, what's the other stuff?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Are for pounding into the snow and Ice for tying into when going up and down tougher terrian. :D
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Or more specifically they are called snow pickets. They are used as anchors while climbing more exposed slopes. As the hikers said, they would leave them home next time because in soft powder conditions they are nearly impossible to set securely. And ice axes are just about as pointless because if you do fall you will not slide but rather sink into the powder.

It is both a blessing and a curse to be the first ones up. We experinced similar conditions on Baldy that same night except we had snowshoes :wink:
But nice job guys. We didn't have half the determination you did and thus I will be going back tomorrow for another shot at the summit. Expecting 4-5 feet by then!!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Glamisking

Please pound all the snow down, make it easier for the rest of us to follow you up this weekend - :lol:

Good luck with that - it's supposed to snow more before the weekend, perfect for snow shoeing anywhere in the South Cal Mountains this coming weekend.

Please post some pictures of the bowl and the summit so we can see the coverage up there.

Enjoy :D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

lilbitmo wrote:Please post some pictures of the bowl and the summit so we can see the coverage up there. Enjoy :D
Patrick - check out Glamisking's pictures from his Baldy trip this past Saturday. They're awesome.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php...589 ... d=68602558
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I stumbled across it this morning on the "Conditions In Wrightwood" blog but they did not post it in the Trip Reports section. Maybe they can transfer it over.

The best shot is when they wake up and look out the tent in the morning - it's virgin snow everywhere.

Just missing the cherry on top. :oops: