Canyoneering Middle Fork Lytle Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Yesterday, I joined a group of 10 to canyoneer the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek. On the way to the drop in, we ran across patches of snow along the trail but nothing major. The day was sunny and temperate. We found 4 drops of approximately 160', 110', 80' and 60'. On the first drop our landing spot was a large hard snow bank. Plenty of ice on the rock. On the two longest drops with beautiful flowing waterfalls, we set up guidelines to avoid getting soaked.

To avoid the waterfall on the longest drop, we had to set up a 25' handline to get down to a small tree where we built the first anchor; from there, we rapped down about 40' to the only convenient tree on the wall to set up a second anchor. We also rigged a guideline here that would take us over a frigid pool about 30' across. Unrigging from the first rap rope to rig into the second and to the guideline got a little tricky and awkward because there was virtually no place to stand at the second anchor.

This is definitely a beautiful canyon and worth another visit. But the rockfall is nasty. Me and 2 others nearly got taken out at the bottom of the first drop. The sound of whizzing rocks is awful. The hike to the drop in was an easy 1 and 1/2 hour stroll.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very very cool. I have not been in that area, and thought of Lytle Creek Canyon at first, thinking of where such drops could be.
Augie

Post by Augie »

My first time in the Middle Fork to. I noticed you can go all the way to Icehouse Saddle on the Middle Fork Trail. Seems like it would be a nice hike but long car shuttle.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Pretty place....one of our best small routes. Hows the road condition to the parking?
Augie

Post by Augie »

Those few miles of dirt road are really rough. Like lots of big rocks embedded in the dirt waiting to take out an oil pan if you go in with low clearance vehicle.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Pretty cool. Never thought of Lytle Creek as a canyoneering spot.

I'd love to start some canyoneering in these local spots.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Hey, you'd love it. You can get into places where relatively few can go.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

this canyon isnt actually the middle fork of lytle creek. the middle fork comes from the the northwest at the "third creek crossing camp"

the canyon to the south (with the 3 beautiful lower falls and the 2 upper, mossier falls, was unnamed, that is until i discovered it a couple years ago.

my friend and i decided to name it Peachfoot canyon. as well as lower, middle and upper peachfoot falls. the higher, less accessable 2 falls are known as "Lumpy Gravy falls"

come fall season watch out for some green fern that grows in the shady spots. itll make you itch like a crackhead
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Brennen described this canyon in 2000.

http://www.dankat.com/advents/midlyt.htm

We ran this canyon yesterday. All the snow is gone. It was beautiful in there.