Mt. Zion Loop 1/27

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Liz

Post by Liz »

My hubby and I hiked from Chantry Flat to Mt. Zion, and then completed a loop back to Chantry. We did it in a clockwise fashion since we find the latter part of the loop more scenic, and like to save it for the end of the hike. Of course, there's that fun, last "kick in the teeth" as you climb the last .6 mile up the old road, to the parking lot. But it doesn't spoil the nice experience. I'm always ready for a lil' extra uphill anyway.

We enjoyed blue skies and temps likely between 50 and 60 degrees. There was no ice on the trail at any point, and until we were about halfway through our hike, we didn't see another soul. Then we only saw 2 or 3. That's one of the best things about hiking midweek. The trail was in great condition, we had terrific views of Mt. Wilson and the streams were flowing nicely. We covered about 9 miles and felt great after. It's a nice, moderate workout when you don't have a lot of time. (For me, 9 miles is a good start to a hike...but I'll tackle more miles on Saturday.)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:....Of course, there's that fun, last "kick in the teeth" as you climb the last .6 mile up the old road, to the parking lot. But it doesn't spoil the nice experience. I'm always ready for a lil' extra uphill anyway.

It's a nice, moderate workout when you don't have a lot of time. (For me, 9 miles is a good start to a hike...but I'll tackle more miles on Saturday.)
Liz - you scare me. Why does it always gotta be high mileadge or butt kicking uphills? Or worse yet, both combined?

Have you had your head checked lately? Did a rock fall on you or something and knock your "thalamus" out of wack? OK - lets do Ice House Saddle and set trail speed record. :lol:
Liz

Post by Liz »

Oh come on! It was only 9 miles and the uphill on that last .6 is only like 700 feet...no biggie. My husband, friends and personal training clients do think I'm crazy though. I really do ENJOY the feeling of hiking uphill. I'm happiest with a hike when I'm exhausted after it. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:My hubby and I hiked from Chantry Flat to Mt. Zion, and then completed a loop back to Chantry. We did it in a clockwise fashion since we find the latter part of the loop more scenic, and like to save it for the end of the hike. Of course, there's that fun, last "kick in the teeth" as you climb the last .6 mile up the old road, to the parking lot. But it doesn't spoil the nice experience. I'm always ready for a lil' extra uphill anyway.

We enjoyed blue skies and temps likely between 50 and 60 degrees. There was no ice on the trail at any point, and until we were about halfway through our hike, we didn't see another soul. Then we only saw 2 or 3. That's one of the best things about hiking midweek. The trail was in great condition, we had terrific views of Mt. Wilson and the streams were flowing nicely. We covered about 9 miles and felt great after. It's a nice, moderate workout when you don't have a lot of time. (For me, 9 miles is a good start to a hike...but I'll tackle more miles on Saturday.)
Yes, that is a nice hike, even more so now that they've reopened the long abandoned Zion trail. I tried, years ago, to follow the route. Talk about epic bushwhacks. That was no fun at all. :(

It sure makes a nice loop. It can also be used as a nice beginner winter backpack with an over night at "Spruce" Grove (they're really Douglas Fir but whatever).
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Liz wrote
I'm always ready for a lil' extra uphill anyway.
I couldn't agree more. I'll hike with you and your husband anytime.

Uphill means I getting the punishment I'm looking for - for the sin of not hiking when I was younger.

EnFuego - you know you love it, quit denying yourself the pleasure of the pain.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

When someone says "things are going downhill" or "we're headed downhill" -- that's bad! "Onward and upward" and "things are lookin' up" -- that's good.

Work with me here. Up = good. down = bad.

:) :) :)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:Up = good
HikeUp says...:D :lol: