Snow camping in local mountain?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

I am from Monrovia-Duarte area, and plan to take a small group of boyscouts to try snow camping.

I would like to get suggestions for campgrounds. Since this will be the 1st time for the boys so walk-in campgrounds of 2 mi or less would be good for us.

So far I have:
- Little Jimmy Trail camp

Thanks in advance

Hanh
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

You might try Buckhorn which is normally accessible by car but would only be accessible on foot if there's snow. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll post more details.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Jim,

I do interest in details about Buckhorn campground.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We took our scouts on an Angeles Crest snow outing last year and had a great time. Check out the trip report, Kratka Ridge Feb 2008 Snow Trip.

We have also had snow trips at Buckhorn, as well. Fun place...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

calicokid wrote:Jim,

I do interest in details about Buckhorn campground.
Great. Take a look at this map linked here. Be aware that the map can be "toggled" to a satellite photo mosaic. The topo map and the satellite photo are different representations of the exact same geographic area. Note that the topo map is a little out of date which is why I include the satellite photo view.

The camping area at Buckhorn Campground is marked by point "A" on the map (or satellite photo). The topo map only shows one road inside the campground, but actually there are multiple spur and loop roads. To get to Buckhorn when the campground road is open, one drives in at point "D" on the map. However, the normal entry road is closed. Instead, drive to the exit road (point "C"). There is normally parking available alongside ACH at point "C." Walk from point "C" into the campground, and camp where you like. You'll most likely have the place to yourselves.

If you want to do some snowshoeing or hiking (depending on the condtions), I would not recommend the Burkhart Trail which is shown on the map. There are steep and precipitous drops along the trail. If there were any ice, it would be fairly dangerous. Instead, I would recommend the service road for Mt. Waterman that starts at point "B" on the map. Again, the topo map is a bit out of date as to the start of the Mt. Waterman service road. The satellite photo shows the true starting place.

That's basically the deal. :)

When are you guys going?
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Jim! Great info.

We plan to go mid February either the 14-15th, or 21st-22nd. Hope the snow remains or another winter storm will hit the area.

Mike P, I remembered reading about your troop snow camping trip last year. This time we will be the rookies.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

calicokid wrote: Mike P, I remembered reading about your troop snow camping trip last year. This time we will be the rookies.
Don't worry you wont be the only rookies :D My gf and I will be snow camping for the first time soon (within a couple weeks) most likely at Little Jimmy Campground. I just need to get a liner for my sleeping bag first so I wont freeze overnight 8)
Also, we may try to build somesort of snow shelter, but who knows how sucessful that will be. Ive been reading The Freedom of the Hills and it talks about snowshelters and it sounds like a pretty cool idea. Has anyone actually built one?
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

brian90620 wrote: Ive been reading The Freedom of the Hills and it talks about snowshelters and it sounds like a pretty cool idea. Has anyone actually built one?
That is my plan to read that book on that section again and prepare the gears/tool for the trip.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I highly recommend Buckhorn as your first snow outing with your scouts. An excellent source for winter skills is the BSA Fieldbook. You can find the Fieldbook at Eastside Scout Shop or Smiser.