Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Joined up with Enfuego early Sat morning and hit the Ski Hut trail by 5:15AM.

No real snow until 500 feet above the turn at Register Ridge. Patches here and there but easy to go over.

Further up it was icy from the melting, freezing dance that goes on every night.

We reached the Hut by 7:30 AM and were invited in by Traci/Tracy who was very gracious and a great Hut Host. Spent 1/2 hour there before heading across the base of the bowl.

The trail goes slightly above the rocks (instead of through them as normal) and heads diagonally across the West Face of the bowl (approximately 200 feet above where you would find the trail in dry conditions). Crampons are a must in early hours, plus an Ice Axe for self arrest. Some folks had gone straight up the face in the center of the bowl, some slightly East of the center and some over to the East by the water shed.

Since this was my first snow/ice hike with Enfuego we decided to take the well worn West Face diagonal approach into the trees and up the West Ridge line. This worked out well and Enfuego did great. The trail stayed fairly close to the actual bowl instead of being 50-100 yards back and away from the rim as it does in dry conditions on the main trail. All of the snow for the ascent was firm to firm/icy but no slips for us this day.

As I reached the highest section of the bowl rim/ridge with larges rocks I whistled to the folks at the base of the bowl in tents, only to hear someone 50 yards away echo "Hello" and come up from the main section of the bowl 30 seconds later laughing - that was Zach whom I introduced myself to and headed for the summit.

We reached the summit at a little after 10 AM and stayed for 30 + minutes before heading down. We were able to glissade in various spots (where safe to do so) as others had done. To many people and obsticles plus a very icy area kept us from trying it in the bowl itself - rocks are still exposed so do it at your own risk.

We stopped again at the Ski Hut and shared a cup of Tea with Traci, then headed down to the Zoo called the parking area. It was wall to wall cars, kids, ghetto rats and usual ranger/police writting tickets.

All and all we had a great time, stopped in Yorba Linda for Pizza at a place that Enfuego recommended. Great day - see photo's below.

After crossing the bowl - heading up the West Ridge line in the trees with Enfuego right behind me - Ice axe in hand.
Looking up the West Ridge Line near the top of the bowl.
Looking South East with clouds covering the Upland/Ontario/Claremont area
Looking more towards the East at the top of the West Ridgeline Bowl
Looking across the face of the Bowl from the tree line.
Looking Straight down the face of the bowl from the just slightly south of the center - notice in the bottom of the bowl are four tents.
Zach (someone we met) coming up to the summit five minutes after I reached the summit - Enfuego is just a few minutes behind him taking pictures which he will post as well.
Enjoy - Lilbitmo :D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

This was a nice trip. The temps hovered between 30 degrees at trailhead to 33-34 at ski hut and back down again to about 30 on the summit.

Lilbitmo was being nice when he said I did good. By the time we reached the summit, I was probably about 20-25 minutes behind him. I would say atleast half that time was because I wanted to take some pictures. So I lagged abut 15 minutes. Lilbitmo is in good shape.

Anyway, here are some additional pics.

And by the way, the guy "Zach" we met up top, just joined this forum this morning. He climbed up one of the chutes just west of center of the bowl.

Grey light jsut starting:

Top of bowl at grey light:

Racing the clouds to the top:

Lilbitmo posing for portrait just after ski hut:

EnFuego also striking a pose:

Crazy arse japanese climbers at base of bowl:

One of the beautiful chutes in the bowl:

Tracks left by solo climber "Zach":

"I know the summit is here somwhere. What you think?":

Summit photo - Lilbitmo and EnFuego:

New buddy Zach on summit:

Summit plaque:

Ski hut was open, view from below:

Inside ski hut:

The "zoo" at 1:30:

Hope to see you all on the hill.

~EnFuego
Zach

Post by Zach »

Hey!

Just popping my comment "cherry" on the forum. The climb was amazing. I went up the west side of the bowl, actually I started on the east but kept having to dodge falling rocks so I traversed over to the other side which wasn't "in the line of fire."
Lilbitmo and EnFuego pointed me to this website, which is awesome. Looking forward to doing some more hikes pretty soon. Maybe a romp up San Jacinto via Marion Ridge???

Peace

Post by 406 »

thanks for the photos. looks like less snow at the ski hut than I expected.
mtbphoto

Post by mtbphoto »

Is there evidence of skiers at the bowl? Looks like some good snow in that chute near the top!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

mtbphoto wrote:Is there evidence of skiers at the bowl? Looks like some good snow in that chute near the top!
There were actually quite a few skiers. I saw at least 7, but they were still at the ski hut and two were already hiking out and skied the bowl. BUT!!!!! The snow was very hard pack and very icy. It's doable, I've skied similar, but it will be very hard and bumpy. Better file your ski edges good.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

nice pics! i saw your names in the register yesterday. i was wondering how it went. i heard the visibility was real bad in the afternoon that day. the conditions on sunday were about perfect. (minus the korean tour group gathered near the ski hut) :D http://picasaweb.google.com/markspicccs/BaldyBowl1409#
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Hvydrt,

Did you get fresh snow on the trees Sunday morning?

Looks like you got lucky enough to get some pictures (which by the way look great) of some of the trees still covered - which was not the case when we were there Sat.

Just wondering.

You must have started fairly early as well with the Twilight in the first picture or two?

Thanks
Lilbitmo :D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

hvydrt wrote:nice pics! i saw your names in the register yesterday. i was wondering how it went. i heard the visibility was real bad in the afternoon that day. the conditions on sunday were about perfect. (minus the korean tour group gathered near the ski hut) :D http://picasaweb.google.com/markspicccs/BaldyBowl1409#
Visibility was actually perfect the entire trip. Well almost. It sucked at 5:20 in the morning when we shut our lamps off. :lol:

We were above the clouds the entire time. Picture perfect weather as you can see by the pics. At times, no wind. other times, slight breeze. At the "zoo" the fog had rolled in, and then we drove down through the clouds. By the time I got home to Seal Beach, it was drizzling just a little.

~EnFuego
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool pics for sure, but that traffic... :shock:

Great day out above that!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

lilbitmo- no new snow, just ice in the trees from the clouds and wind on saturday afternoon. I started at 5:45