The Really Big Hike :)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The really big hike... kind of. :) OK, so I sprained my left knee about a month ago. Doc said stay off it for at least a month. It's been a month, and I've got cabin fever like no tomorrow. So... I went hiking. Nothing elaborate, just my usual conditioning hike up nearby Haines Canyon. Ouch. Obviously, they've re-worked all of the routes in Haines Canyon so that they are far steeper and more difficult than before my injury. OK, maybe not, but it sure felt like it after a month of not hiking. The knee's a bit sore now that I've done the hike, but did it ever feel nice to be out on the trail.

Until full healing, please keep on hiking and post pictures. Being an armchair hiker is better than not hiking at all.

In the mean time, Happy New Year everyone,

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Good to hear you got out there.

HNY!!!
kgw

Post by kgw »

It's all uneven ground out there, eh? :) Take it slow, and HNY to you and yours.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hey Jim,
Good to here your up and about! 8)
We all miss your detailed trip reports.
Hope your 100% soon! :D
HNY.
Bill
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks much guys. I'm actually not sore today, which is good news.

Keep on hikin' (and HNY),

HJ
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Glad to hear your getting back on the trail. Just gradually ease back in, don't hit on the steep stuff immediately!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:Glad to hear your getting back on the trail. Just gradually ease back in, don't hit on the steep stuff immediately!
Yeah, it's killing me but I've got to show restraint. Some guys I know are going snowshoeing this Saturday. I know I shouldn't go, but argggggggghhhhhh I sure want to. Just gotta keep cleaning and organizing my gear and such.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hi Jim! Glad to hear you're up and about again. I just returned from Yosemite, where I did my very first snowshoeing and enjoyed a nice snow storm while doing it! If I hadn't gotten home LATE last night I'd be hiking today.

Anyway, can you please tell me a bit about Haines Canyon? How long, elevation gain, and where to find the trailhead? I'm trying to learn some new trails in your "backyard." Cheers!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Liz, thank you very much. Your Yosemite pics looked very cool.

I think Mt. Lukens via the Sister Elsie Trail that goes up Haines Canyon is a nice hike. Net gain is about 2994' from where I normally park and the RT mileage is about 9, maybe 10 miles. One of the nice things about it is that it's relatively unknown. You're unlikely to see very many people if any once you go past the cut off trail junction. It's not the nicest front range canyon hike; that honor could arguably go to the Gabrieleno Trail in Santa Anita Canyon; but it's a nice pretty hike, and like I say, you'll not have to contend with crowds. The one draw back to the trail is that it's a bit brushy in spots, but generally not bad. I did a bit of lopping a month or two ago to get rid of some of the worst spots, and there are also some other locals like Matt on this board who maintain the trail even more than I do.

The trail head is at the extreme north end of Haines Canyon Ave. Pay close attention to no parking signs. If you google 10499 Haines Canyon Ave, Tujunga, CA, the approximate location of the trailhead will be displayed.

The route of the trail is shown on this topo map. Note that the map doesn't show the Sister Elsie Trail, but I have not found it difficult to follow. The letters on the map indicate the following:
"A" is the trail head (it's fire road 2N76 at this point).
"B" is the point where you leave the main road and head up the spur road
"C" is the approximate point where the route turns into single track (i.e. a trail). I may have marked "C" just a bit too far past the cistern shown on the map.
"D" is the approx location of a signed trail junction. The "short cut trail" (not an offical name) goes to the right and rejoins road 2N76. The Sister Elsie Trail goes to the left and proceeds to Mt. Lukens (5074'). Stay left.
"E" is the saddle that the Sister Elsie Trail proceeds to.
"F" is the approx point that the Sister Elsie Trail joins the Stone Canyon Trail which comes in from the north. The junction is signed.
Note: From point "D" to point "F" you'll likely encounter no other hikers.
"G" is the point where you join the remains of an old spur road.
"H" is the point where you cross road 2N76 and head straight up the ridge to the summit.
"I" is the summit of Mt. Lukens (5074'). Note that the summit has a lot of communications towers. I don't find the summit to be particularly interesting.

You may then return the way you came, or alternatively go down road 2N76 all the way back to the trailhead. You can also take the aforementioned "short cut trail" from mid way down 2N76 back to the canyon bottom, shaving off some mileage. I personally find the fire road (2N76) to be pretty boring compared to the trail. You can also descend to the north on the Stone Canyon Trail, but you'd have to arrange a car shuttle.

Matt on this forum has a lot of maps that are far better than anything I have posted. Maybe he will post a better map than mine? :)

Note: This trail is written up in John Robinson's Trails of the Angeles which, along with San Bernardino Mtn Trails, is an excellent though slightly dated hiking guide for the local area.