Baldy via BEar Flat 12-30-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Eric and I hiked up Mt. Baldy via the Bear Flat Trail today. The weather was clear and warm -- short sleeve weather for much of the day. It was slow going most of the way because there was lots of snow above about 6000', starting on the switchbacks above Bear Flat. We ran into a fellow named Keith, hiking alone, near the top of the switchbacks and ended up hiking with him.

The snow was fairly soft early on, which inevitably meant some post-holing. Beyond the narrows at 9000', it was generally harder. We put on crampons at that point and were glad to have them for the traverse of the ridge beyond the narrows.

At the summit, Rick Graham was waiting for us. He had driven by, stopping to say hello, as we got ready to set off from the Mt. Baldy Ranger Station. He went up the Bowl, so he was on top long before we were. However, he knew we'd be along (indeed, he spotted us near the narrows), so he hung out on top and we all descended to the Ski Hut via the west side of the Bowl. The snow was very soft on the descent route.

When we arrived at Manker Flat, Rick offered us a ride to the Village. Eric was ready to walk a few more miles on the road, but the volume of traffic convinced him to accept the ride.

Pictures
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice pics. Good to see that the coverage is still good.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice TR and pictures. I'm looking at doing Baldy this Saturday with a small group (whom non I know) but look foward to finally getting out. Haven't been in the snow yet this year.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Is the trail pretty easy to follow for someone who has never been up the Bear Flat Trail before? I am thinking of heading up sometime this weekend with my dog.
Nunc est bibendum
AW~

Post by AW~ »

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

simonov wrote:Is the trail pretty easy to follow for someone who has never been up the Bear Flat Trail before? I am thinking of heading up sometime this weekend with my dog.
The trail is easy to follow in summer -- without snow. In winter, it still gets some traffic, so there are usually tracks to follow. Yesterday, the trail was quite clear as far as the ridge above Bear Flat. After that, there were tracks to follow until the narrow xection at about 9000'. Beyond that, we made our own way. Of course, our tracks are there now.

If you are not familiar with the area, I would advise being prepared to turn around of there is nothing to follow. Not that that is not always a good idea. :)
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

I'm sure your dog will be able to pick out the route! :D