Devil's Backbone Trail (Mt. Baldy)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

I went skiing at Mt Baldy today and rode chair 4 to the top -- this should be close the where the Devil's Backbone trail begins. Can someone point me in the right direction? Has anyone broken the trail yet this winter? I have done the Ski Hut/Bowl/Summit about 30 times but I have never done the backbone and I would like to try it while my kids go skiing over the Holiday week. Any help would be appreciated. :?:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Just keep going WNW from the top of the lift. Most people start down at the Notch and take the road up to where the trail starts just past the top of the lift, but I suppose if you have a ski pass you can ride all the way up to the top of Lift 4.

There's a section that can be pretty sketchy in the winter along the Devil's Backbone Trail - especially if it's icy. Be careful.
gregp909

Post by gregp909 »

Thanks.

Didn't go climbing just went snowboarding with the kids. However, when we were in the Baldy parking lot I saw 5 guys that looked like they were going hiking so I asked them where they were going. . . they said Devil's Backbone. . .none of them had ice axes or crampons, just snow shoes. . .and two guys were wearing running shoes. No joke. I tried really hard to talk them out of going but they went anyway. Not sure how far they got, but that is one of the classic examples of why/how people get hurt/die in the mountains during the winter.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

gregp909 wrote:Thanks.

Didn't go climbing just went snowboarding with the kids. However, when we were in the Baldy parking lot I saw 5 guys that looked like they were going hiking so I asked them where they were going. . . they said Devil's Backbone. . .none of them had ice axes or crampons, just snow shoes. . .and two guys were wearing running shoes. No joke. I tried really hard to talk them out of going but they went anyway. Not sure how far they got, but that is one of the classic examples of why/how people get hurt/die in the mountains during the winter.
Sometimes it amazes me that there aren't more accidents.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I wasn't there and don't know the situation, but they might change their stuff when they reach the start of the backbone. I usually wear trailrunners until I hit a technical spot where the climbing starts, then put my boots on. People give me looks as I'm walking around wearing a t-shirt and shorts with snow everywhere.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I put my crampons on in the parking lot.
drndr

Post by drndr »

Any snow or ice left by this weekend? May 3rd?

Thanks
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

I doubt it. I did Devil's Backbone on Sunday and the snow was melting quickly, puddles on the way down around 2:00 PM.
jfr

Post by jfr »

(Old thread - technically this is the "official" current conditions thread for the backbone.)

Ever since my son tagged along with Sean, Elwood, and I on the Eispiraten Forum's 10th Anniversary Hike up the Devil's Backbone Trail he's been trying to get his girlfriend to do the same hike with him. He's a sea-level guy, living down where it's warm, so all this nice weather has made him think that conditions would be perfect. He's been asking me about it since way before April. Not likely, I told him.

Anyway, we're from San Diego, so we can't quite see Baldy from our house. And they have no skill with crampons. Does anyone know if the trail can be done safely yet this year? Is there still snow on the summit?
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Reports I’ve seen other places say that there may be a little snow in the trees and the summit, probably dont need spikes to hike now.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda