Baldy attmept

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Attempted baldy yesterday. There was a couple ahead of me that I think made it to the top. The route went up the easterly portion of the bowl. I turned around a little past 9k'. Even following their tracks I was still post holing constantly. When I came down, someone had broke trail toward the regular trial, not sure how far it goes. http://picasaweb.google.com/markspicccs ... directlink
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hvydrt, I was the guy behind you when you turned around!

The snow was definitely not conducive to climbing on Saturday. It was way too soft. My crampons kept balling up. Sometimes I'd be lifting another pound or two of snow balled up under my feet with each step! After hvydrt turned around, I managed to keep climbing by stepping in the footsteps of the couple that broke the trail. The snow didn't get any firmer as I got above the ridge. I got to within a couple hundred feet of the summit and decided to turn around because I had to be somewhere at 5pm.

It had warmed up a lot by noon so my crampons were balling up even more. This was really unsafe, so on the steeper parts near the top, I descended facing the hill and reversed my steps. About half way down, I ditched the crampons and just plunged-step down in my boots. The snow was also too soft to glissade.

About 6:30am. The roads were completely clear. No chains needed.

7am and they're already stealing the snow.

The high desert got a ton a snow. I've never seen anything like it. I wish I had made it to the summit to see the rest of it.

This Cessna circled Baldy a couple of times. I wonder if he could see me hanging onto the side of mountain. I waved but he didn't rock his wings.

I saw about 10 people going up the Bowl as I was coming down. Everyone took the east side. No one went up the center.

hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Well nice to meet you Tim. Did you ever see the couple that broke trail?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nice meeting you too. Nope, never saw the couple. They must have taken another way down or flew off to defend truth, justice and the American way. Those two were some kind of Superhikers to have broken trail that fast in those snow conditions and then vanished without a trace.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I've said this a few times already tonight on some other TR's, but Hvydrt and Tim - you both have some beautiful pics there.

I'm getting so jealous that I missed all the beauty and fresh snow this past weekend. I had commitments of shopping, poker tournement, and Christmas parties to attend (not necessarily in that order).

Hey Taco - thats what we should do. Have a poker tournement on top of Baldy. :lol:

Nice TR guys. Hope to make it out soon.

~EnFuego

Post by 406 »

Nice stuff.

I always wonder why people do this:

Seems so odd.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

They take down to the flatlands below and dump it in their yard for their kids to play in.

Post by 406 »

Hikin_Jim wrote:They take down to the flatlands below and dump it in their yard for their kids to play in.
Sounds fun...not.

p.s. the google ad on your post is for Muslim Forums, funny.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Your ad is for Aconaqua, a great improvement over mine.

Allah Akbar,

HJ