Another front range lion

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This one is somewhere in the area in and around some canyon or other near Mt Lukens. One of Hikin' Jim's neighbors, I think. :wink:

I would have loved to have this camera closer to the "trail" (it's not a people trail, just a game trail), but there was just nothing good to tie it to down there. I have to figure out something, because now I know I could get a really good shot of this lion - he has a regular schedule!

The lion is making a "scrape" when it squats down. They push a mound of dirt up with their back legs, then mark it with either #1 or #2. They don't bury their poop like housecats - they prefer to lay it right out there for everyone to notice. So if you ever see something all scratched up in the middle of a trail, you'll know why. (and please let me know if you do!)

Sorry it's grainy and dark...

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool stuff. Thanks for taking pics out my way. I'll be packing cat-nip from now on. "Nice kitty, nice kitty...kitty want some catnip?" :lol:

Thanks for the explanation of scrape. I had heard the term before but had a slightly different concept (I thought they left it in the scrape not on the mound).
Bill

Post by Bill »

I have chunks of guys like you in my stool! :shock: :shock:
Sorry! Just reminded of that Saturday night live routine by the late Phil Hartman.
Cool video! 8)