Report: Arson Investigator Started SoCal Fires

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Grrr. :evil:

I have little sympathy for such a man, but as to punishment, let the punishment fit the crime. How many fatalities occured? If fatalities occured, then perhaps the death penalty, particularly if multiple fatalities occured which I believe would meet the "special circumstances" requirement of the law. If not, perhaps life in prison, depending on what the law allows. Certainly, at the very least, he should receive a heavy prison term with restrictions on parole as well as a very stiff fine.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I once escaped jury duty on a capital case when in response to a questionnaire I (truthfully) pointed out that I was opposed to the death penalty.

JUDGE: Thank you for your time, Mr Barrie, you are free to leave.
Nunc est bibendum
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

If a man takes another man's life (Especially those putting their lives on the line in firefighting capacities) then the punishment should be an Eye for an Eye.

This is the second time in recent California history that a fire investagator was the "Arson Himself" that caused the death of other fire fighters.

In war that would be called a traitor and he would be shot after a court martial - this is no different.

He knows the danger that fires pose to his fellow officers - fighting fires is a war against property damage, wildlife, homes, and the general safety of the public at large - there should be no mercy for someone who works in that field and starts fires on purpose.

The families of the firefighters that died should get the final say, but no quarter should be given to such a cowardly man.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I wouldnt give him the death penalty...mainly because it errodes the deterrence of the sentence in this case. Seems to me this guy(if found guilty) was too addicted to his delusions for any deterrence to have a difference...prision...depends on the credibility of reform. If it were shown to me that a mental ward was credible, thats what I would go with...otherwise a life in prision...yup.

Looks also like an opportunity to look at whether these agencies hiring decisions were complete...or is there somekind of entity like a union whose policies may stop bad firefighters from exiting or being investigated until its too late.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

From what I know of prison (cop friends and family)... I think prison would be a GREAT way to solve a problem such as this.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

TacoDelRio wrote:From what I know of prison (cop friends and family)... I think prison would be a GREAT way to solve a problem such as this.
this
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:this
hunh?
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

aka "I agree" 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Oh, duh. :oops: