Murietta Falls, a tough hike in the Bay area, 11/29/2008

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Normally a hike to a falls isn't so strenuous!

Here
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures. I used to hike in that area 20+ years ago. Beautiful countryside with some challenging hikes. Figured you would have continued on a few more miles to bag Rose Peak :D.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow. Looks like a great day for a hike.

That "giant nut" is an oak gall. Oak trees and the gall moth have a symbiotic relationship. The gall moth helps to polinate the trees, and the trees provide a place for the gall moth to lay their eggs as well as a safe place for the larvae. The gall moth secretes a fluid that irritates the oak tree. The moth lays it's eggs and deposits some of said fluid on the oak tree. The oak tree grows a gall around the eggs and the fluid much like an oyster creates a pearl around an irritating grain of sand. The eggs are kept safe from predators and the weather while in the gall. When the eggs hatch, the larvae simply chew their way out. If you find a "fresh" one, you can cut it open and sometimes see the larvae. Kinda cool.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR ..
:)
JMunaretto wrote: ~ 4200 ft elevation gain in 12 miles. A pretty tough hike, one of, if not the toughest in the Bay area.
How does Mount Diablo compare, it has to be the greatest vertical in the Bay Area ..
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

HikeUp wrote:Nice pictures. I used to hike in that area 20+ years ago. Beautiful countryside with some challenging hikes. Figured you would have continued on a few more miles to bag Rose Peak :D.
actually didn't read enough to even plan that out, and the lady wasn't into adding any more miles so 12 was sufficient.

from what I hear you can take trails from there to Mission Peak, which would seem to make for a nice hike.

Right by the trailhead we passed a ridge on the right with a good use trail...looks like that ridge eventually meets back up with the trail we took. Would be interesting to check that out in the future and see how steep / clear it is.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

He219 wrote: How does Mount Diablo compare, it has to be the greatest vertical in the Bay Area ..
Yeah Diablo is another ~500 ft higher than peak point on this trail. As a single peak hike though, it's probably getting the same total gain but usually in more miles. Mt Diablo 4 peaks hike seems to be closer, and I'm sure there are off-trail ridge ascents that would be tougher. Eventually I'll find out!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JMunaretto wrote:from what I hear you can take trails from there to Mission Peak, which would seem to make for a nice hike.
Yes, the Ohlone Wilderness Trail runs from Fremont (on the west side of Mission Peak) to Del Valle. A mere 28 miles and 7 to 8 thousand feet of gain I think.

Rose Peak (3817') is only about 32' lower than Mt. Diablo (3849').