The Station Fire Thread

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

phydeux wrote:Gotta love the the modern L.A. Times and there modern-day publishing strategy. Why not make a story out of something so obvious as the fact the winter rains will cause muddy debris flows to come down the hills after a brushfire denuded them in the fall.
"Why not?" is the relevant question. All newspapers have always done stories like this. And there have always been readers for whom this kind of material is news.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I take it the charred part of the map is charred...
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

AlanK wrote:
phydeux wrote:Gotta love the the modern L.A. Times and there modern-day publishing strategy. Why not make a story out of something so obvious as the fact the winter rains will cause muddy debris flows to come down the hills after a brushfire denuded them in the fall.
"Why not?" is the relevant question. All newspapers have always done stories like this. And there have always been readers for whom this kind of material is news.
I just wish they'd spend a little more time getting some relavent details. Seems like pull the 'stock' story out of the archives year-after-year with the same, generic info; mudflows after storms, there will be lots more this year since there was more area burned, we're doing studies, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Everyone is always quick to point out we're not out of the woods yet on this fire, yet it seems like everyone feels like it's pretty much over.

Today there was much more smoke on Wilson than at any point since the backburn operations. The update on the site said they were "probably" nothing to worry about unless we get a Santa Ana - which is due literally any time. I've also heard of a hotspot (wish I could find the link) on Waterman as well.

The demobilization of a ton of firefighters, a bunch of hotspots and impending winds (not to mention rising temps and lowering RH today and through the weekend) have me thinking this thing could get at least SOMEWHAT out of control again before containment is reached, or perhaps even after.

Are we falling asleep on this thing? Is the "party" really over? Lights out, eggs coolin', butter gettin' hard?

Would hate to see it flare up and eat something we've all filed away as "saved".... would be even more crushing after the quiet last week or so.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

um yessss
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Captain Obvious wins once again.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Containment has been pushed back to the 22nd. Originally the 15th, then the 19th, now the 22nd. It is anticipated to be hotter, drier, and increased winds early next week. Check http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1856/ for updates.
Bill

Post by Bill »

You really can't say it's over until the weather breaks. :?
There is such a large area of inacessable terrain with large smoldering trees and roots which could potentially be stoked up by a significant Santa Ana condition, that it would be difficult to say the jello's jigglin' until we get a good soaking. That will be another issue. Can you say El nino? :roll:
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Friday, 18 Sep 09, 4:45 pm PDT - There is concern that conditions on Mount Wilson may be going south over the next few days. A dozen or more smoke centers are still active low on the north slope of the mountain, and the forecast is for Santa Ana-like wind conditions turning on by Tuesday. This could result in re-activating fire from the smolder centers that would be blown up-slope on the mountain.

I expect to speak with the current Mount Wilson Fire Division supervisors Saturday morning and will report on their current thinking and plans.

Will this thing never end?!
From the Mt Wilson folks.

Awesome. :(
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Bill wrote:You really can't say it's over until the weather breaks. :?
There is such a large area of inacessable terrain with large smoldering trees and roots which could potentially be stoked up by a significant Santa Ana condition, that it would be difficult to say the jello's jigglin' until we get a good soaking. That will be another issue. Can you say El nino? :roll:
At this point mudslides sound relatively good. Just no more fire.

I'm ready for a good rainstorm. C'mon - it rains in September sometimes, can't this be one of those Septembers? Please?

Maybe Chick Hearn's ghost can pull some strings and put this fire in the refrigerator for us.
harper

Post by harper »

Layne Cantrell wrote:
Friday, 18 Sep 09, 4:45 pm PDT - There is concern that conditions on Mount Wilson may be going south over the next few days. A dozen or more smoke centers are still active low on the north slope of the mountain, and the forecast is for Santa Ana-like wind conditions turning on by Tuesday. This could result in re-activating fire from the smolder centers that would be blown up-slope on the mountain.

I expect to speak with the current Mount Wilson Fire Division supervisors Saturday morning and will report on their current thinking and plans.

what about "smolder centers" in the as yet uncontained areas up in the sg wilderness?
f*ck's sake.
this is making me into a nervous wreck...

hh
harper

Post by harper »

this on inciweb today:

"Due to an anticipated increase in temperatures, wind, and a decrease in humidity over the next few days, Station Fire Incident Commander Mike Wakoski has ordered additional aircraft which include 4 heavy helitankers. In addition, a tactical water tender equipped with fire retardant has been ordered to treat fuels on the north slope of Mt. Wilson."

that's at least something...

harper
tarol

Post by tarol »

Red flag warning Monday evening through Wednesday night

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.p ... ag+Warning
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

harper wrote:
Layne Cantrell wrote:

what about "smolder centers" in the as yet uncontained areas up in the sg wilderness?
f*ck's sake.
this is making me into a nervous wreck...

hh
Tell me about it.

And yeah, what of the hotspots in the wilderness? Isn't that a threat too? Mt Wilson is just dripping with awesomeness, I get it, but what about the f'ing forest - arguably much awesome-er?
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

tarol wrote:Red flag warning Monday evening through Wednesday night

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.p ... ag+Warning
Totally awesome.

Somewhere, whatever evil force is willing this fire to live is tapping its fingers together and noting, aloud, that "everything is going according to plan."

May the fire be weakened to the point that none of this matters when it gets here. F*cking weather.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Per inciweb the containment date has been pushed back to Thursday.

Does this mean they had trouble tonight? Flare-ups? Or are they simply just not finished yet with the physical lines?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Layne Cantrell wrote:Somewhere, whatever evil force is willing this fire to live is tapping its fingers together and noting, aloud, that "everything is going according to plan."
Dude, you're scaring me. Let's pray that this thing has really been put to bed.
tarol

Post by tarol »

The red flag warning has been extended through Thursday evening... so the full containment has been pushed back to Thursday as well.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mt. Wilson cam shows a haze - probably smoke and ash.

Lots of ash covering the cars here in Burbank.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:Mt. Wilson cam shows a haze - probably smoke and ash.

Yeah, the wind is really kicking up the ash.

Come to think of it the SG's really got their ash kicked... :mrgreen:
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Layne Cantrell wrote:Somewhere, whatever evil force is willing this fire to live is tapping its fingers together and noting, aloud, that "everything is going according to plan."
Know any good rain dances? :)
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

HikeUp wrote:Mt. Wilson cam shows a haze - probably smoke and ash.

As of about four today it looks really good. Hopefully whatever hotspot flared up in the Twin Peaks area (why does it always have to be so damn close to BUCKHORN?!?!?) has been dealt with.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Layne Cantrell wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
Wash your car!
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

TacoDelRio wrote:
Layne Cantrell wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: Dude, you're scaring me. Let's pray that this thing has really been put to bed.
Wash your car!
That's probably the funniest thing I've read in here. So true.

So true, in fact, that I'm washing my damn car tomorrow.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Per ANF this morning:

Increase in activity eastern edge Twin Peaks Area;Copters en route; Red Flag Warning in effect thru Thurs.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Per ANF this morning:

Increase in activity eastern edge Twin Peaks Area;Copters en route; Red Flag Warning in effect thru Thurs.
Lame, but at least they're on it:
A 20 acres spot fire in the Twin Peaks Area of the San Gabriel Wilderness was surrounded with retardant and is under observation. Winds would not allow for the insertion of crews. Aircraft will be up and ready to fly again in the morning and crews will attempt to access the area.
-inciweb

Also, while heat is up and RH down, the winds aren't supposed to be as strong tomorrow so there seems to be a good chance this little spot won't do anything other than age some of us prematurely.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It always seems to work.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

i took a look at the wilson cam, seems to be some smoke just south of twin peaks
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

wrote:i took a look at the wilson cam, seems to be some smoke just south of twin peaks
Lookin' pretty good tonight as of 6:30 or so. Not sure if we'd even be able to see all the hot spots from Wilson, but right now (crosses fingers) there is a lot less smoke than there was earlier.