The Station Fire Thread

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That's what I thought when I looked at that map yesterday, but it's such a crappy map that I didn't want to put it out there as fact.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:
Mike P wrote:Even the Garcia trailhead on Sierra Madre Blvd at fire station 97 in Glendora is taped off. I don't think that a hiker gets into USFS property until he or she is on the ridge.
I noticed that was taped off a while ago. WTF?
Must be a city closure.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-- Unknown
Dude, don't strip Fred of his chief hobby.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Starting this thread for any information on Newcomb's, Waterman, Twin Peaks, and the San Gabriel Wilderness, etcetera.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

This map:
http://www.wrightwoodfsc.com/StationFir ... 090903.JPG might be helpful to those who don't have GE on their machines.
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:
Mike P wrote:Even the Garcia trailhead on Sierra Madre Blvd at fire station 97 in Glendora is taped off. I don't think that a hiker gets into USFS property until he or she is on the ridge.
I noticed that was taped off a while ago. WTF?
Must be a city closure.
The local cities were asked by the USFS to close the trailheads in their respective jurisdictions. I'd suspect that they've all complied.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

whatmeworry wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote: I noticed that was taped off a while ago. WTF?
Must be a city closure.
The local cities were asked by the USFS to close the trailheads in their respective jurisdictions. I'd suspect that they've all complied.
I'm glad I live in LA. They probably have no idea where any trailheads are. :lol:
scott johnson

Post by scott johnson »

Morning update from the Angeles Christian Camp Website,

As of Friday, September 4, at 8:30 a.m. Angeles Crest Christian Camp is still safe and protected! YOUR PRAYERS ALONG WITH THE HARD WORK BY FIREFIGHTERS IS WORKING!

Yesterday at 3:00 p.m., I received word from Pat Titus, Batallion Chief for the L.A. County Fire Department that the late afternoon and evening would be a critical time for the camp in regard to danger from the fire. Last night, around 9:30 p.m., I spoke with Chief Titus to get an update. So far they have managed to suppress and keep the fire away from the Chilao campground area, Newcomb's Restaurant and Angeles Crest Christian Camp.

Close to 250 firefighters are still working hard to create firebreaks and keep the fire from spreading. Chief Titus explained that if things continue well over the next 48 hours, then the future looks safe for that area of the mountain.

Again, we can't thank all of you enough who have been praying for the camp's protection. Similarly, we hold in high regard Chief Titus, his leaders and the firefighters for all of their courageous work.

More info, firefighters are working Alder Saddle and building berms near Three Points. The fire did jump the highway twice yesterday between Newcomb's and Three Points but firefighters pounced on the spot fires quickly.

Scott
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Anyone have ideas on how to find out things like, how intense is this part of the fire - is it burning everything in sight, or is it nicely cleaning up understory and leaving the pines alone? Are they able to make water drops on the Wilderness side? Or are they just letting it go to 39? Is that northern 'claw' basically out?

it seems to be moving pretty slowly, especially compared to what happened to the rest of the forest.

Is the south side of Twin Peaks covered in pine, or brush?

The trees around Waterman & Buckhorn are very big, and very old. The forest is so open - it seems possible the trees wouldn't die. Though they are stressed from bark beetles.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

cougarmagic wrote:Anyone have ideas on how to find out things like, how intense is this part of the fire - is it burning everything in sight, or is it nicely cleaning up understory and leaving the pines alone? Are they able to make water drops on the Wilderness side? Or are they just letting it go to 39? Is that northern 'claw' basically out?

it seems to be moving pretty slowly, especially compared to what happened to the rest of the forest.

Is the south side of Twin Peaks covered in pine, or brush?

The trees around Waterman & Buckhorn are very big, and very old. The forest is so open - it seems possible the trees wouldn't die. Though they are stressed from bark beetles.
I think the northern claw looks real good as far as it not going much further. The south side of Twin Peaks is nothing to worry about...if the fire gets up the south side that would be amazing as its mostly all rock and very steep. Its further to the east where it can sneak back north....twitter reports a fire break from Smith Mtn southward....they will have a good vantage point on where to try and snuff it out since its likely to go slowly north at that point....by all indications the high country should be spared but it will take many days to wait until it finds Bear Creek to the east and then it can start moving north again.

Yellow being Hwy2....grey line being Bear Creek..and if they dont hold the fire at the green line to the north thats it for Waterman&Twin.
Bill

Post by Bill »

A few shots of Angeles Forest Hwy toward Mt Gleason, and a small video which shows some of the devastation along Gleason road and PCT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N ... 243486914/
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

No active burning was detected on the South segment!

The only actively burning area is the North Segment of the SE Claw

On my way back from Piru Creek I took Hwy 138 & 14... There is tons of Smoke in the High Desert (sorry guys) and on the 210 East from I-5 I could see pryocumulus cloud over the high country

I suspect the reason the North Finger is still burning is the aircraft cant get in there because of the smoke

This could be out (for now) on Sunday?

I only mapped the South East Claw and left out the data more than 24 hours old

The reduced data set is here
http://mattmaxon.homeip.net/data/Fire%2 ... 200904.kml

whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

Monster header in the Big Santa Anita/Monrovia Peak area...

Fire running in the West Fork?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:A few shots of Angeles Forest Hwy toward Mt Gleason, and a small video which shows some of the devastation along Gleason road and PCT.

Dang we lost a lot of trees. Dang. That is (was) a nice area.

Bill, you a fireman?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:Image
It looks as though it's bypassed Cogswell, but it's now in lower Devil's Canyon. Sigh. Well, there was a lot of poison oak there.

And I guess Valley Forge, West Fork, and Devore trail camps and the surrounding environs are toast. Dang. That was a nice area. Especially the forested N slope of Mt. Wilson. :cry:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

whatmeworry wrote:Monster header in the Big Santa Anita/Monrovia Peak area...

Fire running in the West Fork?
Yeah, there's a heck of a lot of smoke east of Mt. Wilson right now (looking out my office building's window in Pasadena).
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

From the Pasadena Star News
Backfire set behind mountains north of Arcadia
Posted: 09/04/2009 04:17:05 PM PDT

ARCADIA - A large plume of smoke visible above the foothills of Arcadia is a back-fire intentionally set by firefighters to clear out brush, U.S. Forest Service officials said.

The fire is burning near Chilao Campground, according to John Calabrese, a spokesman for the Station Fire incident management team.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

That maybe so but there is renewed activity on the south segment

mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

The Sierra Madre Fire Department and City Officials are closely monitoring the Station Fire and there is no immediate threat to Sierra Madre residents at this time.

The fire is now moving into heavy fuels, timber trees, and thick brush within the San Gabriel Wilderness north of the Cogswell Reservoir. This area has no historical record of burning and heavy smoke columns are expected.

Current weather patterns are slightly pushing the fire further north and away from the city. This weather has shown to reduce the smoke in the area; however the heavy brush will continue to produce Pyrocumulus clouds, as seen over the mountains this afternoon.

Firefighting operations continue to take place both day and night to hold the fire north of the containment lines that have been established from Mt. Wilson to Highway 39. Controlled fire operations may also be conducted along these lines which are at least three ridges (or about 3.5 miles north) away from Sierra Madre. The controlled fire operations increase the effectiveness of the fire breaks but should produce more smoke and flame in areas north of the City.

Be aware that there is a potential for increased fire apparatus activity on land and by air.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

AlanK wrote:From the Pasadena Star News
Backfire set behind mountains north of Arcadia
Posted: 09/04/2009 04:17:05 PM PDT

ARCADIA - A large plume of smoke visible above the foothills of Arcadia is a back-fire intentionally set by firefighters to clear out brush, U.S. Forest Service officials said.

The fire is burning near Chilao Campground, according to John Calabrese, a spokesman for the Station Fire incident management team.
That HUGE plume this afternoon didn't look like any backfire!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Mike P wrote:That HUGE plume this afternoon didn't look like any backfire!
Maybe it was at one time
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Excellent point! :)

Here is a picture of Mt West Fork blowing its top as viewed from Pasadena:

Dante's Inferno?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:That maybe so but there is renewed activity on the south segment

heading right for the Mermaids.

Also looks like it's made progress toward the Twins. Maybe they can keep it N of the West Fork? The road can be used to get equipment in, so it'd be more than hand crews. Not a very wide canyon though in spots.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Bill wrote:A few shots of Angeles Forest Hwy toward Mt Gleason, and a small video which shows some of the devastation along Gleason road and PCT.

Dang we lost a lot of trees. Dang. That is (was) a nice area.

Bill, you a fireman?
Yeah, actually Acton is my first-in. Won't be the same for a long while. :?
Eventually the brush will grow back. Can't replace Ted and Arnie. Good guys both of em'!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Well we're 10 days into this. It seems the powers that be are content to burn the chaparral in the west fork, devils cyn

Hope it doesn't turn to sh@#, or worse... some else gets killed

I wonder how hot this is burning, usually these thing blow through and the ground temps are pretty low, with higher temps the soil gets "sterilized", making it difficult for the native plants to reestablish, a real opportunity for invasive non-native plants

http://mattmaxon.homeip.net/data/Fire%2 ... 200905.kml

Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I have photo's of the burn. Arroyo is a total burn out all the way to Red Box from La Canada. 99% of the guard rails are burnt out, road signs are melted and there are dead animals on the highway.
Mill Creek RS is gone. Monte Cristo & Shortcut Fire Stations were both burnt but I haven't heard how bad, but I would expect the worst. No word on Vetter but the Observatory on Stoney Ridge has survived. Chileo & Charlton were burnt but not total burn outs. The brush clearance started 2 years ago may have helped save it. The residents at Chileo were burnt but no word on the visitors center. The fire burnt out Gould Mesa in the Arroyuo but amazingly the tables and outhouse survived. I guess there may be a glimmer of hope after all.
The Angeles National Forest sign as you enter the forest out of La Canada burnt. There is a photo of it burning on the outdoorsclub.net web site.
go to the message board and click the link on the Angeles National Forest Closure. Kelly has all my photo's and will be uploading them to that web site. About 50 photo's in all. Try not to get to sick when viewing the pictures.
The talk is that now that the fire is in the San Gabriel Wilderness that they will make a stand at Highway 39.
The forest as we know it has indeed gone to shit Matt. I'll say it.
The forest will most likely remain closed until the spring of 2010. Angeles Crest Highway is closed from La Canada to Big Pines and is not expected to open until November if even then.

If anyone goes into the burn areas, be sure to be safe and wear face and breathing masks.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Richard N. wrote:No word on Vetter
Vetter Mtn Lookout is gone

KPCC interviewed the lookout association spokesperson, the lookout and garage are toast
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

There is new activity around Chilao, I'm guessing this is a backfire / controlled burn. A continuation of a series long desired backfires is my guess

Just say it's part of the larger fire and get the $$$ for it

GE KML

mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

The controlled burns(?) around Chilao are stationary

The South segment of the claw is slowly tearing its way down the west fork

inexplicably the North segment of the claw shows no active burning in the last 12 hrs. I notice once it started out of the devils cyn area it was quashed

Big and Little Mermaid Cyns are threatened. I would not be surprise to see them allowed to burn as they are large Marijuana producers