Are things going to pot?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

No wonder fire crews are so mellow ... :lol:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Hikin_Jim wrote:

I "believe" the marker(C) is a random point on a section line points "D" & "F" for some reason they both are marked "AR60"

It does appear that the aforementioned survey marker in Haines Canyon is just a random point along the section line. The thing I find curious about the concrete filled metal post is that it lists sections on each side including the R and T designations in raised metal characters. It's very specific, and someone put a lot of work into fabricating this custom survey marker. The R and T designations and the section numbers correspond to a point quite a bit further east in a different section (although on the same east-west section line). It just seems odd that someone would go to all the trouble to make this survey post with all it's highly specific markings ... and then put it in a place that doesn't correspond to its markings. I guess stranger things have happened.
Maybe the marker was made up and then not used and someone put it to use? Just a guess. Let me look at the coords and I'll see if I can find the PID and maybe some details.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Rumpled wrote:Maybe the marker was made up and then not used and someone put it to use? Just a guess. Let me look at the coords and I'll see if I can find the PID and maybe some details.
I can post more close-up pics of it if ya want. Don't think there is any significant info on the post but what do I know.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I couldn't find anything within a mile or so of those coordinates in the NGS database.

I've posted a question about this to the benchmark forum of geocaching.
Excuse me for taking the liberties of posting the pics and links; with nods to the owners.

Maybe someone has an idea, but I don't think we'd get a concrete answer.

I like that Random Point.

Is there a way to link a single post on this forum? I couldn't figure it out.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Rumpled wrote:Maybe the marker was made up and then not used and someone put it to use?
That seems likely since the marker would seem to be the custom marker for a "four corners" joining of specifically enumerated map sections.

I think that now it's on just a random point along the section line, but let us know if you come up with anything. It does seem weird to go to all the trouble to make a very nice special marker designating where four sections come together and then use it to mark a random point.