Forum Logo (Header/Banner Picture)

Comments & questions about this site.
simonov

Post by simonov »

FIGHT ON wrote:I was wondering. I bet people on other message boards have great pictures of the San Gabriel Mountains. Imagine how many different pics there would be to chose from. What is the best way to reference this topic to other sites?
Try these links:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&ss= ... ins&m=text
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&ss= ... ldy&m=text
http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&ss= ... eak&m=text

Etc.
Nunc est bibendum
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Ok FIGHT ON, you lured me out with this:
Oh and hey RickM, Look what happens when you use Black Diamond Hiking Poles. Check out the pic posted just above this post. Dude you FLY WITH POLES!!!
Actually, if you look at that pic carefully, you'll see he is able to fly by ridding himself of those clumbersome/weighty poles. I feel like flying too when I take off my showshoes or alpine skiis or in the old days, my heavy double leather mountaineering boots & crampons or in my youth those heavy steel wheeled roller skates...think about it. Does the next pic show he's jumping on those poles to bend and smash them? :lol: Or can he only leap five inches above the rock cause he's so tired from having carried those poles all the way up the peak? :wink:

ps How does one upload a picture or two on this site or is the contest over?
He219

Post by He219 »

HikeUp wrote: Like this nut job...
Forgot about that set, but callin' me a Nut Job, HikeUp?
:P
Rick M wrote: Or can he only leap five inches above the rock cause he's so tired from having carried those poles all the way up the peak?
LoL, 5 inches ..
Dawson with Mountaineering Boots, crampons, no poles. Managed 5.5 inches on that one ..
:wink:
Rick M wrote: How does one upload a picture or two on this site or is the contest over?
Try http://www.imageshack.us/ (and a popup blocker)
Trick is to Browse your directory for a file to Upload.
First one works with an advertisement, second time it goes to junk.
Third time overwrite URL with http://www.imageshack.us/ and on go without any hickups from then on. Don't need to register that way ..

Then select image properties, copy image URL and post here:
[ img ] URL of your hosted image [/ img]
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

He219 wrote:Forgot about that set, but callin' me a Nut Job, HikeUp?
8)
LOL. Just kidding of course. That picture is awesome regardless of the mental status of the leaper. :wink:
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

He219 claims
Dawson with Mountaineering Boots, crampons, no poles. Managed 5.5 inches on that one ..
But then he :wink: about it...so, just looks that high because of the low camera angle or Photoshopped it that way. :shock:

Thanks for the info on uploading images...now I need to get my Kodachrome slides digitized :D
tarol

Post by tarol »

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

My non-super delegate votes go to the last 2 pix preceding this post!
The photos keep getting better. Quality transcends ego.....
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TACO. Maybe we should vote now. Nobody seems to want to enter any more images.
What about a week time period for voting?

PS. I was wondering. Is there a way to have the site image rotate with like two or three different images? Now that would be cool. Like fade out and a different image appear? Different scenes.
I vote.
#1. Simonovs one with his dorky self and movie camera.
#2. HikeUps w/o the telephone wires.
#3. HeMans the long skinny one. snow
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

Mount Lewis as seen from the Southfork Campground area.

Mt Williamson, Pallet, and Pleasant View (foreground is Sandrock) from Valyermo.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That first one with Lewis looks awesome.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:That first one with Lewis looks awesome.
Ya. I want to walk right up inside that picture.

I like your quote Kit. :)

So that second pic is Mt. Williamson? Man I tell you, you can't lose when you go hiking. I walked up there a few weeks ago and some dude told me to go to the peak on the left, that the one right in front is not the peak. Those three bumps. I think the middle one is it. but I went to all three just in case. If I saw this pic a month ago it would have been just another awesome pic. but now that I have been up there, Well I just can't describe it. It's like I know that mountain now. Like it's somebody.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is a different shot of the same location.

Here is another photo showing one of the three "tops" of Mt. Williamson. This is the Tail Section of the C-119 Boxcar that crashed September 30, 1966.

About 800 feet north of this photo, you can spy the tail section of a C-46A Commando. This tail section has been on the side of the mountain for 64 years.

If anyone is interested in a TOPO map showing the two wreck sites, let me know.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

wow look at that tree going through the body. wonder if it grew through or the plane impaled itself on it.
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

FIGHT ON wrote:wow look at that tree going through the body. wonder if it grew through or the plane impaled itself on it.
I figure it grew through the plane. I'm still in awe how that section has "hung on" for that long. One of the photos was not taken from a level position. I was trying to take pictures without sliding down a scree slope.

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

IT'S TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TIME TO SELECT THE NEW FORUM PICTURE.
TACO SAID SO THERE!
I propose that anyone who is interested post their top 5 choices.
1. FAVORITE................. 5 points
2. SECOND FAVORITE.... 4 points
3. THIRD FAVORITE....... 3 points
4. FORTH FAVORITE....... 2 points
5. FIFTH FAVORITE......... 1 point

Next Sunday at 6 pm the pic with the highest score wins!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

My picks.

#1. Simonov PostPosted: : Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:28 pm

#2. He219 (1st pano with snow) PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:27 am https://eispiraten.com/f ... asc-10.php

#3. HikeUp PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=494

#4. Dudley Heinsbergen (Eighth picture) PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:57 pm https://eispiraten.com/f ... asc-10.php

#5. EManBevHills PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:48 pm https://eispiraten.com/f ... asc-10.php
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

6 DAYS TO GO WITH SIMONOV IN THE LEAD WITH A SCORE OF 5. HEMAN IN SECOND WITH FOUR, HIKEUP IN A CLOSE THIRD WITH 3 POINTS, DUDLEY TWO LENGTHS BEHIND WITH 2 POINTS AND ITS THE EMAN NAGGIN AT THE REAR WITH 1 POINT. quiet down there eman.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

FO (aka bent)...I can't figure out what pictures you are trying to link to.

I vote for this one because I'm not completely sane...
1)
simonov

Post by simonov »

Let's see, left to right, Throop, Burnham, Baden-Powell, West Baldy, Baldy, Harwood, Thunder and Telegraph, all in one pic:

Nunc est bibendum
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

If they don't have to be landscapes, here is an Icehouse Canyon columbine.

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:Let's see, left to right, Throop, Burnham, Baden-Powell, West Baldy, Baldy, Harwood, Thunder and Telegraph, all in one pic:

Wow. WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THAT ONE BEFORE NOW? When did you take that one? YESTERDAY? And from where? (and don't be tellin me to guess because that would be off topic!!!!!! yes!!!!!!!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

RichardK wrote:If they don't have to be landscapes, here is an Icehouse Canyon columbiine.

They can be anything. But to be considered you must list five like I did.
Any pic on this topic is fair game.
Hike up I listed the pics I liked in order and the only way I could figure out how to ID them was to copy and paste the link to the page along with the poster and number of his pic.
simonovs last pic is killer.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Go a little wider on that shot and you get Bighorn, Etiwanda, and Cucamonga.

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

CHECK THIS OUT!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

With 5 DAYS TO GO IT IS STILL SIMONOV IN THE LEAD WITH A SCORE OF 5. HEMAN IN SECOND WITH FOUR, HIKEUP IN A CLOSE THIRD WITH 3 POINTS, DUDLEY TWO LENGTHS BEHIND WITH 2 POINTS AND ITS THE EMAN NAGGIN AT THE REAR WITH 1 POINT.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

With 4 DAYS TO GO IT IS STILL SIMONOV IN THE LEAD WITH A SCORE OF 5. HEMAN IN SECOND WITH FOUR, HIKEUP IN A CLOSE THIRD WITH 3 POINTS, DUDLEY TWO LENGTHS BEHIND WITH 2 POINTS AND ITS THE EMAN NAGGIN AT THE REAR WITH 1 POINT.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

With 3 DAYS TO GO IT IS STILL SIMONOV IN THE LEAD WITH A SCORE OF 5. HEMAN IN SECOND WITH FOUR, HIKEUP IN A CLOSE THIRD WITH 3 POINTS, DUDLEY TWO LENGTHS BEHIND WITH 2 POINTS AND ITS THE EMAN NAGGIN AT THE REAR WITH 1 POINT.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

And wiith 2 DAYS TO GO IT IS STILL SIMONOV IN THE LEAD WITH A SCORE OF 5. HEMAN IN SECOND WITH FOUR, HIKEUP IN A CLOSE THIRD WITH 3 POINTS, DUDLEY TWO LENGTHS BEHIND WITH 2 POINTS AND ITS THE EMAN NAGGIN AT THE REAR WITH 1 POINT.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

:lol: (hard to believe that I, FIGHT ON gets to choose the forum picture!)
And down the stretch they come! It's SIMONOV STILL IN THE LEAD BY ONE LENGTH, AND IT LOOKS LIKE HE WILL RUN AWAY WITH THE WIN!