General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Tim

Post by Tim »

FIGHT ON wrote:Ought to be permits required for all areas. Any mountains. You don't have a permit, you can't go.
Wow, do I ever disagree with that.

Anyhow, sorry if my original post implied that a bunch of law-breakers were infiltrating the SGW and they were sending out swarms of rangers to hassle everyone. The FS people I met that day were all volunteers and they were just hanging out at the cabin at Horse Meadow. They were very nice and offered everyone water. I think they were there to help and inform people as much as they were there to check permits. I told them it was good they were stepping up patrols in the winter because maybe they can inform people that go out there and are unprepared.

That day we met probably 20 people beyond the wilderness boundary, nearly all of them backpackers and they all had the proper permits. I think the vast majority of people follow the rules.

Anyhow we probably should get this thread back to current conditions.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

it's dark outside. not raining. Tomorrow it will http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... &map.y=115
Bill

Post by Bill »

FIGHT ON wrote
Ought to be permits required for all areas. Any mountains. You don't have a permit, you can't go.

Maybe I'm in denial, but is a permit required every time you enter the forest? :roll:
I live within a mile and a half of the PCT, and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to get a permit to walk up the street and hit the trail (unless I'm camping out).
I guess it depends on where you go. Probably necessary in high use areas.
I have great respect for FS rangers, and the work they do, but they work for us, and as long as we are acting responsibly, we should be left alone.
How about this. An annual permit worn like a fishing license. You could file trip requests online for high use areas, but otherwise you would be held accountable for the terms of the license(fire safety, etc.)and thats it. 8)
Ranboze

Post by Ranboze »

Im itchin' to get out and was wondering what thoughts anyone had on heading up to BP or the ski hut trail tomorrow. Im still rather new on the snow, have crampons and snow shoes. I read the SP about avy danger along the ski hut trail. I figure I could always go as far as I was comfortable. Is one or the other trail more or less treacherous right now???
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Snowshoes and a willingness to swim through powder are required at the moment. :lol:
Ranboze

Post by Ranboze »

Yeah, today's reports are starting to come in. Sure lots of snow.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'd say Ski Hut would be better. The trail is basically plowed to the Hut, from what people say. South facing so more sunlight.

Best of luck regardless.
Ranboze

Post by Ranboze »

Thanx Taco. Your info gave me the last minute push I needed to move my sorry bum out into the snow. Went up to the Ski Hut. Great day... and then there was the drive down the mountaing. TR coming soon.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'm not experienced enough with winter hiking to visit my favorite area, San Gorgonio wilderness, this weekend. But, I am okay with hiking in some snow. I want to hike from Chantry Flat to the top of Mt. Wilson tomorrow. Has anyone hiked in that area lately? I'm just curious about conditions. I've made phone calls and gotten no good information. Also, the Mt. Wilson tower camera is not currently working. Thanks!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I know some people hiked up the Santa Anita ridge from Chantry to Mt Wilson last Saturday:

http://hiking.meetup.com/196/calendar/9306531/
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Some friends and I went out last Sunday toward mt disappointment

we had 1 to 2 feet of wet - powdery snow. Wet near Mt Wilson - Red Box Rd dryer as we went up

Conditions likely have changed since then with the rain and freezing temps at night, I'd expect it to be icy

I looked at the Mt Wilson area as drove back from Stoney Point on the 26th and noted the snow cover was much less.

My experience in the Mt Wilson area is the snow melts leaving a sheet of ice where the sun doesn't linger long.

Going up to San Gabriel Peak could be scary in one or 2 spots near the summit, 3rd Class climb to Strawberry Peak could be dangerous

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Liz,

I live at the base of the mountains. There was no visible snow from this last storm. Probably what happened is all of the rain melted off the snow. As Matt says, the danger is now ice. A woman did die on one of the trails in and around Mt. Wilson last year after slipping on ice. It's been quite cold here at night, and I'm at about 2000'. Mt Wilson is 5000+ feet.

Higher up, you may encounter better conditions since it snowed and didn't rain like on Mt. Wilson. The service road to the Mt. Waterman Ski Area is
a nice snow shoe if you're so inclined.

HJ
Liz

Post by Liz »

Has anyone been up the Vivian Creek Trail lately? I left a post on the San Gorgonio site, too. I have only a lil' winter experience, but do have snowshoes and expect the trail to be farily worn, at least to a point. I'd go as far as I could. Don't know what that point is, but I sure miss that beautiful wilderness. I'm tired of seeing downtown LA from my hikes! :x
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

In my experience, there are places where one does not follow the trail in the winter. For example, the hated switchbacks above High Creek are buried and people head pretty much straight up. That often applies to the switchbacks after Halfway. The paths are easy to follow except right afrter a snowfall.

I have done Vivian Creek in boots, snowshoes, and crampons. As in all winter hiking, things change a lot. vivian Creek can be easy, tedious, downright dangerous, etc. I have not been lately, but imagine that it is looking pretty good these days.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'm planning on trying out a new route tomorrow. I've been on some of the trails, but not all. I'm going up the Sam Merrill Trail, to bag Muir, then take the trail and road to hit Lowe, Disappointment and San Gabriel. Then I'll make a little lollipop loop, in a clockwise direction, to come back down. I'll eventually catch the Castle Canyon Trail to Sam M to finish. Has anyone recently hit the peaks I mentioned? I'm just curious about what the trails are like, particularly getting up to the summits. I'd welcome any helpful insight. Cheers!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The approach to San Gabriel from Markham Saddle is shaded and has some short stretches of serious exposure. This is just a guess since I actually haven't been up there recently, but I'd assume there would be snow/ice on the trail from Markham Saddle to San Gabriel Peak. If you can't get to San Gabriel the rest of your trip as planned is still intact so no loss really.

Trails to Mt. Lowe are on the north side near the top and might have snow/ice but I don't recall any steep drop offs that would cause hesitation.

Markham should be no problem.
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

I was up on San Gabriel two weeks ago and didn't make it to the top. Too much snow, and one of the guys I was with forgot his crampons. But yes, steep drops and a little icy. Some of it might be clear by now, but I don't think all of it will be. Good luck.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

With the other responses saying there might be snow or ice sounds like this might be a fun hike. Wish I could make it out there with you, but unfortunately, got soem other obligations this weekend.

Have fun.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A lot of the SG Pk trail is exposed, so you might be OK. If not... live to fight another day. :)

I'm going to try the Bailey Canyon - Mt. Wilson Trail loop tomorrow. Baby steps, yes, but my knee has been doing much better. :)
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey guys! Thanks for the info. If I do the whole hike, it'll be about 17.5 miles. If I don't feel safe doing San G, then I can still do at least 15 ish miles, so cool. I'll bring my crampons, just in case.

Hikin' Jim- Good luck tomorrow! I've done that loop a lot. Last time I was on Mt. Hastings, I waved at you, as you were on another trail, not too far away. I hope your knee does okay.

Now, hikers, let's all meet up for a cold beer after our hikes tomorrow. Woo hoo! :twisted:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:Now, hikers, let's all meet up for a cold beer after our hikes tomorrow. Woo hoo! :twisted:
Post that with a little advance warning next time, and I'm there! :)
Liz

Post by Liz »

yeah! Some Saturday we should all get together and have a drink or two in the evening!

Hikin' Jim...did you do your hike today? How's your knee?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:Hikin' Jim...did you do your hike today? How's your knee?
My knee did OK. Not 100%, but so much better than what it's been. Thanks for asking. Here's my Bailey Canyon Loop TR. I've done the Bailey Canyon Loop (including one time before there was a connector trail) before, but there are a couple of more hikes I'd like to do over that way that I've not done before:
-Hastings Peak Loop
-San Olene Loop
One of the guys I hiked with today told me about the San Olene Loop. I had never heard of it before.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Supposed to snow tonight though sunday night...
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... wrightwood
He219

Post by He219 »

Lookin' good for late March!
:D
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway now has a 7 day weather forecast for Long Valley (8512 ft) - New
http://www.scwxa.org/tram/tramplanner.html
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks Cy, I'll add that link to the link thread. And, SNOW YAY!
Bill

Post by Bill »

I am planning a hike starting at Vincent Gap, following the Manzanita trail down to Southfork of Big Rock Creek, following the SF Big Rock creek trail up to Islip Saddle, continuing on to the PCT trail North to Mt Islip. Probably stay at Little Jimmy, and bag Hawkins, Throop, Burnham, and Baden Powell, and returning to Vincent Gap. Around 20 miles or so.
The map shows a few springs along the way. Reed spring, Little Jimmy spring. Anyone know the reliablility of these springs for drinking water along the way? Depending on when I do it, there might well be some snow I can melt, or may have to cache water?
drhabes

Post by drhabes »

Bill,

Never been to Little Jimmy without water in the spring...always there year round. Not familiar with Reed spring however. Have a great trip! :o
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Reed Spring isn't very reliable

Only time I have seen surface water there was at the height of the melt in a heavy snow year

I have never seen Little Jimmy dry ever, my mouth is watering just thinking of that tasty water!

Little Jimmy Camp has very active bears... Hang your food... Leave your pack open...Don't be surprised if you're visited

Unfortunately the surest water will be the water you carry up from South Fork :cry: