Middle Fork Trail (Lytle Creek)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HikeEnthusiast55 wrote: I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but which 10 essentials do you refer to?
fortified wrote: I go trail running four days a week, and I don't know what the ...lets say Pack-ten are....
Never heard of ten essentials??? OK...There are several lists of ten essentials but this is a good place to start: Ten Essentials

I used to run a lot of ultras. Always had a belt pack with water bottles and most of the the other things in case of an emergency. Now, all I do is hike and backpack. I'm always prepared to spend the night out on the trail.

There are lots of candidates for the eleventh essential. For me that is toilet paper!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I love HikeUp's suggestions, however! :)
walker

Post by walker »

I hiked up to Icehouse saddle from Lytle Creek on July 5th and the middle fork trail was in great shape except for one washout/slide between Comanche and Third Crossing. Not technical, but you have to cross some slippery gravel above a steep slide down into the canyon. Good to have boots with good tread and maybe trekking poles.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You'd need shoes. No rope. Maybe you don't need shoes. Point is though, no rope.
DaBaba

Post by DaBaba »

I did this trail with some friends from Middle Fork to the saddle 7/12. I liked the trail better than the Ice House Canyon trail. It is longer, steeper and more exposed, but it was easier on my feet. I only saw 4 other people, two campers at Third Stream Crossing and an ill prepared couple down below it. The trail is nice with only a couple of washouts.
The only equipment I would recommend is a camelback and a fly swatter.