Baldy Bowl and Ski Hut Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
curt

Post by curt »

Nope-but along the same line was wondering about Cucamonga Peak -was thinking about "doing it" on Sunday.....Whats everyones thoughts-will be calling the Baldy center tomorrow to get there take...Weather report called for 50% chance of rain snow above 7000 ft
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

I was actually thinking about Cucamonga on Saturday.

The National Weather Service is having a hard time predicting the path of this cutoff low and this mornings forecast warned that precipitation potential could be reduced as the models refine the path of the event.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Likely heading up Baldy via the Village on Sunday, will post my findings here. 8)
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

We were promised unsettled weather and snow and we were not disappointed. Surprisingly, it was cold and windy on the summit. The snow was down to the Parking Lot in the morning but did not last; I guess winter will arrive soon, but not this weekend. If it gets cold soon the trails will be icy.
BEFORE at 6:30AM

AFTER at 1:30

It was prettier higher up

Do crampons work in mud?

A few more photos here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbufra/se ... 113855364/
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Thanks for the timely report, Frank!
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

Frank glad you woke in time to join us at the hut :D

Frank coming up to summit

pictures here
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5818 ... t=outdoors

mark
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

If you can get up there in the next couple days, things are pretty good up top. Not quite winter winter, but definitely worthy of a trip up and an early season hint of what's to come.

Mt Baldy via Bear Canyon - 11/13/2011 -
https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=4241
longcut

Post by longcut »

I'm hiking to the ski hut in the morning with a friend. Anybody seen the trail lately? I imagine the trail is mostly well trampled by now but wanted to verify we would have no trouble without spikes.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I haven't been there but, it's difficult to say what you'd consider conditions that'd require micro spikes.

I personally feel if there is ice (Snow), you should have them along

Most(?) winter accidents in the san gabs are slipping on ice. Some are very experienced people, though the more you're out there the more risk you're taking.

M...
summitbaggers

Post by summitbaggers »

Any word on the current conditions? What type of traction is needed--microspikes, crampons, snowshoes? Planning on a hike this Saturday so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I was up via the Ski Hut on Friday, December 2. The only real snow is beyond the Hut and before the ridge. Microspkies made it easier over that stretch.
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

Awsome pics of your nov 13 trip ! Have not made that route up from bear canyon. Where does the trailhead begin ?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Not quite Cucamonga, but... I did Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario then Bighorn and down Icehouse Canyon last Sunday. We chose this route to stay on the north side and enjoy the bit of snow we had. There looked to be nice coverage on Cuc's north slope and the deepest snow we had all day was on Bighorn. Curious to know what the north slopes are still holding. I'll watch for reports. Link to my pix from 11/27:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1152949450 ... ILtnajviQE#
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

tpfishnfool wrote: Awsome pics of your nov 13 trip ! Have not made that route up from bear canyon. Where does the trailhead begin ?
The Bear Canyon (or Old Mt Baldy) Trail starts down in the Village across form the Baldy Lodge. Head up the road with the church, you'll pass several cabins and in about 1/2 a mile come to the official start of the trail, with a metal register much like the one on the Ski Hut Trail and a sign indicating the distance to the summit. I highly, highly recommend this route; 6000+ feet of gain and much less crowded than the other routes, varying scenery, etc.
summitbaggers

Post by summitbaggers »

So, no need for snowshoes?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

summitbaggers wrote: So, no need for snowshoes?
There is definitely no need for snowshoes at this point.
summitbaggers

Post by summitbaggers »

Thanks for the info, Alan! How long did it take you roundtrip from trailhead to summit and back?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

summitbaggers wrote: Thanks for the info, Alan! How long did it take you roundtrip from trailhead to summit and back?
4 hours
summitbaggers

Post by summitbaggers »

Wow, that seems blazing fast. I've never hiked Baldy so I don't have a great feel for how long the RT hike usually takes, but I had planned for about double your time. I'm guessing you're an exceptionally strong hiker and that most normal human beings would be in the 7-8 hours. Is that accurate? Don't be modest. :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

summitbaggers wrote: Wow, that seems blazing fast. I've never hiked Baldy so I don't have a great feel for how long the RT hike usually takes, but I had planned for about double your time. I'm guessing you're an exceptionally strong hiker and that most normal human beings would be in the 7-8 hours. Is that accurate? Don't be modest. :wink:
I tend to "move it right along."

My wife walks frequently but is not a regular hiker. She and I had an enjoyable hike up Baldy via the Ski Hut Trail in 2010 -- her first Baldy trip. We were passing some people and being passed by others. We took 3:30 going up and 6:40 round trip, including 30 minutes at the summit.
sambieni

Post by sambieni »

AlanK wrote:
I don't have microspikes either... possible to do?

Want to do BAden Powell or similar this Sunday since has not rained/snowed in weeks. Any chance of doing w/out the spikes?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

sambieni wrote:
AlanK wrote:
I don't have microspikes either... possible to do?

Want to do BAden Powell or similar this Sunday since has not rained/snowed in weeks. Any chance of doing w/out the spikes?
Someone else will have to comment on Baden Powell. I have not been there lately. Baldy can certainly be done in just boots at this point. Extra traction helped going up to the ridge at 8800' or so, but there were people going up with and without such traction.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

summitbaggers wrote: Thanks for the info, Alan! How long did it take you roundtrip from trailhead to summit and back?
I smell a newbe here! Hey, you need to tell us which animal you relate with as you move your body around the forrest:

Turtle: easy does it, care free hiking here, looking for any excuse to make long stops; easily intimidated when being passed by the roadrunners, when they look ahead and see a challenge, ops! its time to turn around.

Rabbit:Steadily moving along in an effortless pace, looking forward to the next challenge that lies ahead on the trail. Will glance around a bit to enjoy the scenery.

Roadrunners:speeeeeeeeeeeeeeed is most important here! Everybody get out of my way! They only have time to "trail gaze"and be the first to reach the top , also they like to show off the numbers.

A great practice trek for Baldy ski hut trek- you need to summit for a valid test- is:

Turtles: Mt Lowe, from Lake Av, the whole(3piece) Sam Merrill Trail
Rabbits: The grand Old MT Wilson Trail from Sierra Madre
Roadrunners: Rattle Snake Peak Trail, you know where that is! You can zooooooom around the whole forrest in a single day.

Now that you know which camp you belong(and you don't have to tell us) , go on to Baldy and plz post a report on sat when you get back home... enjoy the mountain and have hell of a good time!!! 666
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Does anyone know the current conditions of the Ski Hut trail?

Thanks!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

What what?
Ski hut, you ask?
To find out, a simple task.

ok enuf of that. The BBC contingent was up there on Sunday. The trail was mostly dry or slush and then above the hut was fresh dusting of snow. My friend's teenage son made his first Baldy summit via the west bowl, up and down, wearing instep spikes. Not enough white stuff for ice ax...

I don't think there has been much more snow up there this week. Supposed to be really windy tomorrow, though.

Check out photos taken Sunday by Shinmeister and Ryan B. :P
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Two questions! Where can I find said pictures?

And two, is it bootable? Supposed to be warm temps this week into next and I imagine there will be a pretty good foot path thru any snow, but just want to know that my buddies will be fine next Wednesday!
Marty

Post by Marty »

I hiked Baldy on Monday and there were some icy spots on the Ski Hut Trail which posed a slipping hazard but other than that the trail is totally passable.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

I was aware of the 60mph winds that were to be present around the Baldy area. The brave Koreans and another person that I know, who sent me this link, managed to go to the top! You all must like to be pushed around by the wind. Having been at the top with about 45mph and not be allowed to breathe easily, I rather avoid this kind of scene from happening to me again. Plz note that vid#1 is shot on the top of the first ridge past the bowl.....666

Taco

Post by Taco »

Extra points if you do it in winter and get your face skin sandblasted off by spindrift gravel.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

''The sandblast-quicksand ridge''

Taco, its time to get out of the canyons for a change and hit the ridges,
starting with this one when the winds show up.
Lets see if you can make it to the top or be gone with the wind!!!...666